This Chicken Avocado Tortilla Soup Recipe is easy, offers whole foods and my family can’t get enough!
It offers a flavorful broth, tender chicken, strips of corn tortillas, chunks of avocado and is the soup version of my favorite enchilada.
Soup is my winter meal. I love a soup that’s filled with complex flavors and tantalizing textures. It’s also the perfect comfort food.
We made a double batch last night and there is one serving left. Miss M, who seldom eats her entire meal had two servings. Li’l Man kept giving it the thumbs up and asking if we could add it to our meal rotation. The house smelled amazing (“Like Tacos” the family said). It is so good.
I’m not certain it should be classified as tortilla soup because only tortillas are used for garnish.
On my family’s second helping, they crushed a handful of tortilla chips and let them soak for a few minutes, and said they liked it even better.
It’s a personal preference.
Find more soup inspiration on our Pinterest Soups Board.
Chicken Avocado Tortilla Soup Recipe Ingredients:
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into pieces
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
1 cup chopped green onions
1 medium jalapeño, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
32-ounce carton chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
3 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 large avocados, pits removed, scooped out of the shell
1 Roma tomato, diced
Tortilla chips, Monterey jack cheese, sour cream for serving (optional)
Chicken Avocado Tortilla Soup Recipe Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Salt chicken on both sides to taste, turn heat to medium-high heat, add chicken to the pan, and saute for 3 minutes on each side.
3. Add the onions, jalapeño, and garlic to the chicken pan. Stir onion mixture and saute for about 2 minutes until the onion has started to soften, and turn translucent.
4. Pour in cumin and chicken broth.
5. Let simmer 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through
6. Remove the chicken from the pot, and shred it into smaller pieces. An easy way to do this is to place chicken in a large mixing bowl and use an electric hand mixer to shred chicken. It’s easy and very quick.
7. In a glass blender jar, puree the cilantro and 1 ½ of the avocados and lime juice with a portion of the broth until creamy.
8. Add the rest of the broth and pulse a few times to combine.
VERY IMPORTANT: REMOVE THE STOPPER FROM THE BLENDER LID AND COVER THE LID WITH A KITCHEN TOWEL AND HOLD IT DOWN FIRMLY. IF YOU LEAVE THE STOPPER IN AND THE LIQUID IS TOO HOT, PRESSURE CAN BUILD UP, AND THE BLENDER’S CONTENTS COULD BLOW THE LID OFF AND BURN YOU…NOT TO MENTION THE MESS!
9. Add the broth back to the pot.
10. Stir in the shredded chicken.
11. Divide into soup bowls and garnish with the remaining 1/2 of chopped avocado, strips of corn tortilla chips, cheese, salsa or Roma tomatoes, additional chiles, and sour cream. You can even add lime wedges to each plate for garnish and flavor.
To Make the Tortilla strips:
For authentic Mexican soup make your own crisp tortilla strips, or crumble tortilla chips. This soup is how I use up stale yellow corn tortillas.
- 4 corn tortillas or flour tortillas.
While the soup is simmering, cut fresh tortillas into strips. In a 10-inch skillet, heat 1/2 inch oil to 375 degrees. Fry tortilla strips, a few at a time until you have crisp tortilla strips. Remove to paper towels to drain.
Add 2 bay leaves to the broth mixture when simmering.
Substitute tomato puree for tomato paste.
Whole Kernal corn
Slices of jalapeno
1/2 teaspoon or more of chili powder for a warm heat
Make it faster with shredded meat from a rotisserie chicken
You can use chicken thighs in place of chicken breasts.
We also love these soup recipes:
- Olive Garden copy cat Zuppa Tuscana
- Creamy Mexican Turkey Soup
- Shrimp and Avocado soup
- Sausage and Pasta Soup
- Potato Bacon and Cheese Soup
- Copy Cat Panera Bread Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- Peanut Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Irish Potato Soup
- Lasagna Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Wisconsin Cheddar Beer Soup
- Shadowbrook’s Creamy Artichoke Soup
- Meatball Pasta Soup
- Taco Soup
- Weight Watchers Homemade Vegetable Soup
- Ramen with Shrimp
- Hearty Minestrone
- Pennsylvania Dutch Bacon Potato and Corn Chowder
- Turkey Stock
- New England Clam Chowder
- Cuban Black Beans
- Chicken Avocado Tortilla Soup Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into pieces
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 medium jalapeño, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 32 oz carton chicken broth
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt or to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 large avocados, pits removed, scooped out of the shell
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- Tortilla chips, Monterey jack cheese, sour cream for serving (optional)
- Chicken Avocado Tortilla Soup Recipe Directions:
- Heat the oil in a large pan/pot over medium heat.
- Salt chicken on both sides to taste and add chicken to pan and saute for 3 minutes on each side.
- Add the onions, jalapeño and garlic to the chicken pan and saute about 2 minutes until the onion has started to soften.
- Add in cumin, and chicken broth.
- Let simmer 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through
- Remove the chicken from the pot, and shred it into smaller pieces.
- In a glass blender jar, puree the cilantro and 1 ½ of the avocados and lime juice with a portion of the broth until creamy.
- Add the rest of the broth and pulse a few times to combine.
- VERY IMPORTANT: REMOVE THE STOPPER FROM THE BLENDER LID AND COVER THE LID WITH A KITCHEN TOWEL AND HOLD IT DOWN FIRMLY. IF YOU LEAVE THE STOPPER IN AND THE LIQUID IS TOO HOT, PRESSURE CAN BUILD UP AND THE CONTENTS OF THE BLENDER COULD BLOW THE LID OFF AND COVER YOU AND YOUR KITCHEN IN HOT SOUP.
- Add the broth back to the pot.
- Stir in the chicken.
- Garnish with the remaining 1/2 of chopped avocado, tortilla chips, cheese, salsa or fresh tomato, additional chile, and sour cream.