Today’s Best Recipe is this copycat Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe is comfort food for the soul.
It’s an easy soup recipe and one of my favorite soups.
Crisp fall and chilly cold winter days beg for the creamy texture and the flavor of rich cheddar with pieces of broccoli.
It’s oh, so good!
Now there’s no need to fight the weather; make it when you crave it–this recipe tastes as good as it does inside your favorite Panera Bread!
Soup has always appealed to me.
It’s creamy, salty, and savory; all my favorites in one bowl of soup.
Then there’s that whole total comfort food thing.
We no longer live a short distance from Panera Bread, where I could grab a cup of this delicious soup, so we make this copycat Panera broccoli cheddar soup recipe so I can make it in my own kitchen and savor the taste I love with Panera’s Broccoli Cheddar Soup!
Here’s how to make Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar soup in the Instant Pot.
Copy Cat Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped yellow or white onion
1 cup half-and-half or heavy cream
1 (16-ounce) package of frozen chopped broccoli florets
1 (16-ounce) loaf of Velveeta cheese or (8) slices of Kraft Sharp Cheddar Singles
2 (14.5-ounce) cans of chicken broth, chicken stock, or vegetable broth
1 cup julienne-cut carrots
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Copycat Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup
In a large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat.
Saute the onions until translucent, about 3 minutes, in the butter.
Stir in the flour, whisking until smooth.
Cook for about a minute, then slowly add the half-and-half, about 1/4 cup at a time, whisking until thickened and smooth.
Add the broccoli and processed Velveeta cheese when all of the half-and-half is blended in.
When the cheese is completely melted, add the chicken broth, 1 cup at a time, occasionally stirring, until soup is well mixed and has a consistent texture.
Add the julienned carrots (Fine Cooking can show you how), and broccoli florets, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Stir in the shredded cheese and cook for 10 minutes more.
Note: For the best flavor, grate your own cheese.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serve when all the cheese is fully melted and blended with the desired consistency. (I like thick soup)
Serve this creamy soup in soup bowls or a bread bowl.
Garnish the delicious broccoli cheddar soup with fresh broccoli florets and grated cheese.
If the soup gets too thick, add tablespoons of milk or broth.
Try different types of cheese for a spin on the flavorful soup.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days.
We hope you enjoy this copycat broccoli cheddar soup recipe.
Slow cooker Copycat Panera Broccoli and Cheddar:
Use the same ingredients listed above.
Add broccoli, onion, shredded carrots, broth, salt, and pepper to the crock pot, and cook for 4 hours on LOW.
Turn the slow cooker to high while you make a roux cheese sauce on the stove:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Slowly whisk in the flour until you have a thick paste.
- Slowly add 1 cup of hot broth from the soup in the slow cooker to the flour mixture while quickly whisking.
- Once the roux mixture is thinned and smooth, slowly add the half and half, whisking until incorporated and smooth.
- Reduce heat to low and add the grated cheese, whisking until melted and combined.
Pour the roux cheese sauce into the crockpot slowly while stirring to combine.
Garnish with broccoli florets and more grated cheese.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow or white onion
- 1 cup half-and-half or heavy cream
- 1 (16-ounce) package of frozen chopped broccoli florets
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf of Velveeta cheese or (8) slices of Kraft Sharp Cheddar Singles
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans of chicken broth, chicken stock, or vegetable broth
- 1 cup julienne-cut carrots
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Panera Bread's Broccoli Cheese Soup #Recipe Directions:
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter.
- Stir in the flour and onions.
- Cook for about a minute, then slowly add the half-and-half, about 1/4 cup at a time, whisking until thickened and smooth.
- When all of the half-and-half is blended in, add the broccoli and processed cheese.
- When the cheese is completely melted, add the chicken broth 1 cup at a time, stirring occasionally, until soup is well mixed and has a consistent texture.
- Add the julianne carrots and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve when all the cheese is fully melted and blended through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 769mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 16g
The Nutritional Information may not be accurate.