The Tasty Tomato
This is the summer of Julee. I’m going healthy. It’s so much easier in the summer when the garden is blooming and produce is plentiful. I take after my grandma and love tomatoes on the vine!
The July/August issue of AARP The Magazine reveals that tomatoes have healing powers. They can safeguard against several types of cancer and may reduce your risk of heart disease, osteoporosis, and even diabetes. How fortunate I am to have such a hardy appetite for these little balls of deliciousness!
It’s really easy to incorporate the tomato into everyday eating. Slice them for a sandwich (or with salt and pepper), snack on cherry tomatoes, or get spicy with some homemade salsa!
Yield: About 2.5 cups
2 cups seeded, chopped tomatoes (red, yellow, and orange)
¼ cup diced red onions
½ teaspoon minced garlic
¾ teaspoon freshly ground cumin, roasted
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
1 banana pepper stemmed and diced
¼ cup diced green mango (optional)
Salt and pepper
½ cup minced cilantro leaves (for garnish)
How to Make Tomato Salsa
Combine the first seven ingredients and the mango if using. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate. Just before serving, garnish with cilantro.
Tomato Salsa Recipe
This tomato salsa is easy to make and a quick and easy appetizer or snack with all the benefits of tomatoes and a flavor you can't resist.
- 2 cups seeded, chopped tomatoes (red, yellow, and orange)
- ¼ cup diced red onions
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground cumin, roasted
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- 1 banana pepper stemmed and diced
- ¼ cup diced green mango (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup minced cilantro leaves (for garnish)
- Combine the first seven ingredients and the mango if using.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate.
- Just before serving, garnish with the cilantro.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 8Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 17mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 0g
The Nutritional Information may not be accurate.