These deliciously adorable popcorn cupcakes make terrific centerpieces for a movie viewing party. It combines traditional movie food like popcorn with all the fun of a cupcake!
We’ll start by making cupcakes, and then I’ll walk you through step-by-step how to make these fun snacks for your family movie night.
Each piece of “popcorn” is a small marshmallow. You can simply add the marshmallow and call it “Popcorn,” or you can take the time to cust the marshmallow halfway through and about one-third of the way from the end of the marshmallow. Then, on the opposite side of the marshmallow, make three cuts that meet in the middle of your first cut (like a peace sign). Fan the three parts out and it will look like a popped kernel of corn.
Popcorn Cupcakes Recipe Ingredients
- Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 bottle of yellow food dye
- Container of Cream Cheese Frosting
- Bag of Mini Marshmallows
- popcorn container
- Yellow food coloring
How to Make Popcorn Cupcakes
- Follow instructions on the cake mix box to create 2 dozen cupcakes. Allow them to cool completely before decorating.
- Add enough yellow food coloring to the frosting to create an overall light yellow color.
- Frost each cupcake liberally with the yellow cream cheese frosting.
- Add the mini marshmallows on top of each cupcake. (see above for technique) Arrange the marshmallows randomly in mounds so they look like popcorn pieces.
- To make the popcorn look buttered, simply dilute one or two drops of yellow food coloring in water and brush it on top of the popcorn
- Place a filler in the popcorn container to fill up the bottom (I used a rolled dish towel). Arrange cupcakes in the top of the container.