My girls have always been excited at the opportunity to dress up. Even at seven and nine they seek out the gorgeous gowns and glitter tiaras. It comes as no surprise that they also love Barbie. They drag out the Barbie bins and create a world of beautiful things.
I have spent many afternoons tucked between them, watching Barbie DVDs. I have no problem admitting that I enjoy the movie. I think they teach valuable lessons. On September 13, the newest Barbie movie, Barbie: Princess Charm School was released.
In this movie Barbie stars as Blair Willows, a kind girl who is chosen to attend Princess Charm School. At Charm School, Blair, along with her new friends, Princesses Delancy and Hadley, learn the proper ballroom dances, tea party etiquette and, of course, proper princess manners all while in a magical and adventurous journey of self-discovery.
Barbie: Princess Charm School is an great foundation to start teaching manners. Elise McVeigh, manners expert and creator of Mrs. McVeigh’s Manners, etiquette expert for Parents Magazine and now official spokesperon for Barbie Princess Charm School joined me on Friday to discuss manners that transform every girl into a true Princess. The interview will be live here in a few weeks, however, in the meantime I’m highlighting Mrs. McVeigh’s Five Tips to Teach Manners.
5 Tips to Teach Manners
MAKE MANNERS FUN
1. Meet and greet – It is important that a princess know how to properly meet new people and greet friends. For a polite and poised introduction, remember:
* When meeting a new person, say your name then say “Nice to meet you.”
* If greeting a friend, always tell them “Nice to see you.”
* Look the person in the eye.
* Have a firm handshake.
* Speak loudly and clearly.
2. Set a table – Every princess needs to know how to set a perfect princess table for friends and family. A proper table setting must include: napkin, salad fork and main fork on the left, and knife (with blade toward the plate), spoon and glass (placed above the knife) on the right.
3. Table manners – When sitting at the table with guests and friends, a princess must practice perfect table manners. A polite princess should remember these important rules:
* Sit down at the table once you’ve been told.
* Place the table napkin in lap.
* Always chew with your mouth closed.
* Place utensils in resting position on the plate in between bites.
* Talk to guests and friends about fun and happy topics.
4. How to receive a gift – Princesses are lucky to have lots of friends and family members who may give them gifts. When receiving a gift, a polite princess must always happily say, “Thank you.”
5. How to write a thank-you note – When a princess receives a gift, she should use lovely stationery and write a thank-you note right away.
The world of Princess Play is a special time for parents to not only engage with their daughters in play, but to also teach valuable life lessons. Using McVeigh’s tips as a guide, parents can raise a well-mannered Princess for life.