What are THOSE?!?
This was the first comment that came out as I served lunch today to my two little guys…and even my one big guy (my husband). I don’t win mother-of-the-year when it comes to serving nutritional veggies at meal times….because THOSE were Brussel sprouts.
A great friend of mine convinced me that I could serve these little nutritional nuggets, and even earn approval from my family, using her recipe. So, in hopes that all families will be able to serve Brussel sprouts in the future, here is the VERY simple recipe:
Brussel Sprouts Recipe Ingredients:
- 1.5 pounds Brussel Sprouts (3 bags in the fresh produce section)
- ½ Sweet Onion chopped (I keep a few small containers in my freezer precut and ready to go)
- 1 Bag of Oscar Mayer Bacon Fully-Cooked Bacon Bits (genius invention!)
- Olive Oil to coat
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Brussel Sprouts Recipe Directions:
- Trim ends and bad leaves off sprouts and then cut in half
- Combine sprouts and onions in bowl and coat with Olive Oil, Salt, & Pepper
- Spread on a baking sheet
- Bake at 425º for 15 minutes
- Stir sprouts & Add bacon (sprinkle over the top)
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes (until edges brown and sprouts are somewhat soft)
After a bit of hesitation, and a tad of an ultimatum, all three boys tried them. My oldest was not very fond of the smell, but after trying them, he commented, “oh yeah, I like them, Mom, they’re excellent!” Another recipe to add to my repertoire!!
You may also enjoy this recipe for Umami Brussel Sprouts.
Laura R is the mom of two little boys, ages 3 and 5, and a full-time 6th-grade teacher. In her spare time, she enjoys couponing and cooking and sharing the fun.