Not only do people dread cleaning bathrooms, but cleaning toilets is the most hated chore in America. If only there were a way to make bathroom cleaning easier! That’s when cleaning hacks turn a to-do into done. Cleaning hacks turn your bathroom into the sparkling room of your dreams by cutting down on time and elbow grease. To help you get started, let’s look at bathroom cleaning hacks everyone can use.
Bathroom Cleaning Hacks: How to Keep Your Bathroom Sparkling
Wipe Down Shower Walls After Every Use
Wiping down shower walls after each shower is important to prevent the buildup of soap scum, mineral deposits, and bacteria on the surfaces. When you take a shower, soap and shampoo residues, as well as minerals from hard water, can stick to the walls and tiles. If left unattended, these substances can accumulate over time, leading to unsightly stains and discoloration, as well as an unpleasant odor.
In addition, moisture from the shower can create a breeding ground for bacteria, mold, and mildew on the walls. This can not only cause an unpleasant smell but also pose health risks, particularly for people with respiratory problems or weakened immune systems.
By wiping down the shower walls with a squeegee or a microfiber cloth after each use, you can remove the excess water and prevent the buildup of soap scum, minerals, and bacteria. This will help keep your shower clean, hygienic, and looking its best. It can also prevent the need for more intensive cleaning later on, which can save time and effort in the long run.
Let Cleaning Solutions “Sit”
Letting cleaning solutions “sit” or dwell on surfaces for a certain amount of time is important for several reasons.
First, it allows the cleaning solution to penetrate and break down dirt, grime, and other stains, making them easier to remove. This is especially true for tough-to-clean surfaces like grout, which can be porous and trap dirt and bacteria. Allowing the cleaning solution to sit on the surface for a few minutes before scrubbing can help loosen and dissolve the dirt and make it easier to clean.
Secondly, allowing cleaning solutions to sit can kill bacteria and germs on surfaces. Many cleaning solutions contain disinfectants, which work by killing or inactivating bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens. However, disinfectants need time to work effectively. By allowing the cleaning solution to sit for the recommended time, you give the disinfectant enough time to kill the bacteria and viruses on the surface.
Lastly, letting cleaning solutions sit can save you time and effort. Instead of having to scrub surfaces vigorously, letting the cleaning solution do the work for you can make the cleaning process much easier and less strenuous. It can also help ensure that you don’t miss any spots or leave behind any dirt or bacteria.
Overall, allowing cleaning solutions to sit is an important step in the cleaning process that can help make surfaces cleaner and more hygienic while also saving time and effort.
Clean Exhaust Fans
Cleaning the exhaust fan in the bathroom is an important part of maintaining good indoor air quality and preventing the buildup of dust, dirt, and other debris.
Here’s how to clean an exhaust fan in the bathroom:
- Turn off the power to the fan. This can be done by turning off the circuit breaker that supplies power to the fan or by unplugging the fan.
- Remove the fan cover or grille. This is usually done by pulling the cover or grille down or using a screwdriver to remove any screws holding it in place. Some fans may have a spring-loaded clip that needs to be pushed in to release the cover.
- Clean the cover or grille. Wash the cover or grille with warm soapy water or a mild cleaning solution. You can also use a vacuum cleaner or a soft brush to remove any dust or debris from the cover.
- Clean the fan blades. Use a vacuum cleaner or a soft brush to remove any dust or debris from the fan blades. You can also use a damp cloth to wipe the blades clean.
- Clean the fan housing. Use a vacuum cleaner or a soft brush to remove any dust or debris from the fan housing. You can also use a damp cloth to wipe the housing clean.
- Reinstall the fan cover or grille. Put the cover or grille back in place and secure it with screws or clips if necessary.
- Turn the power back on. Turn the circuit breaker back on or plug the fan back in.
It’s a good idea to clean the exhaust fan in your bathroom at least once a year to ensure that it’s functioning properly and to prevent any potential fire hazards from the buildup of dust and debris.
Wipe Down Counters Daily
Wiping down bathroom counters daily is important for several reasons:
- Preventing the buildup of dirt and bacteria: Bathroom counters can accumulate a lot of dirt, dust, and bacteria over time, particularly if they are not cleaned regularly. Wiping down counters daily can help prevent the buildup of these substances, making it easier to keep the bathroom clean and hygienic. Home Advisor also shares how to remove hairspray from laminate floors.
- Reducing the risk of illness: Bathrooms are a common source of germs and bacteria, and wiping down counters daily can help reduce the risk of illness by removing bacteria and other pathogens from the surface. This is particularly important for households with young children, elderly people, or people with weakened immune systems.
- Maintaining the appearance of the bathroom: Over time, bathroom counters can become discolored or stained from contact with water, soap, and other substances. Wiping down counters daily can help prevent this discoloration and keep the bathroom looking clean and fresh.
- Making it easier to keep the bathroom clean: Regular cleaning of bathroom counters can make it easier to keep the rest of the bathroom clean. By removing dirt and bacteria from the counters, you can prevent these substances from spreading to other surfaces, such as the toilet, bathtub, or shower.
Overall, wiping down bathroom counters daily is an important step in maintaining good hygiene and keeping the bathroom clean and fresh. It only takes a few minutes and can help prevent the buildup of dirt and bacteria, reduce the risk of illness, and keep the bathroom looking its best.
Keep Cleaning Supplies Under the Sink
Keeping bathroom cleaning supplies under the sink is a convenient and practical solution for several reasons:
- Easy access: Keeping cleaning supplies under the sink makes them easily accessible when you need them. You can quickly grab what you need to clean up a spill or wipe down the sink or countertop.
- Space-saving: Bathrooms are often small spaces, and keeping cleaning supplies under the sink helps to keep them out of the way and free up space on shelves or countertops.
- Safe storage: Many bathroom cleaning supplies contain chemicals that can be harmful if ingested or come in contact with skin. Storing them under the sink keeps them out of reach of children and pets, helping to prevent accidents.
- Organized storage: By keeping cleaning supplies under the sink, you can keep them organized and easily accessible. You can use a caddy or container to keep everything in one place, making it easier to find what you need when you need it.
- Prevents cross-contamination: Keeping cleaning supplies separate from personal hygiene items, such as toothbrushes and toiletries, can help prevent cross-contamination of germs and bacteria.
Overall, keeping bathroom cleaning supplies under the sink is a practical and convenient solution that helps to keep the bathroom clean, organized, and safe.
Never Worry About Bathroom Cleaning Again
Keep bathroom floors spic and span with a roobma.
Don’t let your bathroom be an embarrassment.
Knowing how to use bathroom cleaning hacks will keep your bathroomsparkling clean.
Ready to do more than clean your bathroom?
Get remodeling ideas by checking out the articles on our Home Remodel and Home Repair blog!