This Instant Pot Wisconsin Cheddar Bratwurst and Beer Soup takes me back to dinner night with Kellie, my best friend from high school, and her husband Mike was something we looked forward to. Mike is an amazing cook and introduced us to Wisconsin Cheddar Bratwurst and Beer Soup.
It’s a meal in itself. It’s quick, easy, and a great way to warm up on a cold day. My kiddos love this soup because it’s cheesy. I love this soup because it’s easy. We all love this soup because it’s really good.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Function and Time: Manual or Pressure Cook 4 minutes, Sauté 10-minutes
Cook Time: 24 minutes
Release Method + Time: Quick Release
Total Time: 30 minutes
Instant Pot Wisconsin Cheddar Bratwurst and Beer Soup Ingredient list
- 1/4 cup butter
- 28 oz bag frozen Potatoes O’Brien
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stock, chopped, optional
- 8 ounces cabbage for slaw, shredded, optional
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 cups milk or half and half, heated
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb smoked sausage, cut into bite-sized pieces
Instant Pot Wisconsin Cheddar Bratwurst and Beer Soup Recipe Method
- Prepare Instant Pot. Press Sauté and add butter to the pot.
- Prepare Ingredients. Add potatoes, celery, and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes. Add flour to vegetables and stir constantly to make a thick roux that covers the vegetables. Slowly add chicken broth, stirring constantly to blend the roux into the broth. Add beer, mustard and stir to get out any lumps. Add cabbage and sausage.
- Lock the Lid and Set the Time. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and lock into place. Turn the valve to the “sealing” position. Press Manual or Pressure Cook and set the time for 5- minutes.
- Quick Release. When the timer beeps, Quick Release. Be cautious and turn the valve slowly and in increments to prevent spewing; keeping hands and face away from steam.
- Finish Soup and Serve. Open the Instant Pot, stir the milk or half-and-half into the soup. Add the cheese and stir until melted. Spoon into bowls and garnish with croutons, bacon bits, green onions, sour cream, etc.