This Instant Pot Pasta Puttanesca came about because of Lemony Snicket. It’s a flavorful Neapolitan dish that one of my children requested after reading that the Baudelaire children prepared it in one of the books in A Series of Unfortunate Events. It couldn’t be simpler in the Instant Pot–just add the ingredients and come back to a pasta dinner!
This recipe is vegan, but see the tip for how to add in anchovies, which are traditional. Garnish with shredded cheese or chopped fresh basil if you like.
You may also want to check out my Pinterest Instant Pot board for more great recipes like this pressure cooker Pasta Puttanesca!
Instant Pot Pasta Puttanesca Ingredients:
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (32-ounce) jar pasta sauce
- 3 cups water
- 4 cups dried pasta, such as penne or rigatoni
- 1/4-tsp crushed red pepper flakes*
- 1 Tbsp capers
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, sliced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- cilantro, to taste (optional) as garnish
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated (optional) for topping
Instant Pot Pasta Puttanesca Directions:
- Assemble the Ingredients: Combine all of the ingredients (except cilantro and Parmesan cheese if using) in the inner cooking pot and stir to coat the pasta.
- Pressure Cook. Lock the lid into place and turn the valve to “sealing”. Select Manual, or Pressure Cook, and adjust the pressure to High. Set the time for 5-minutes. When cooking ends, carefully turn the valve to “venting” to quick release the pressure. Unlock and remove the lid.
- Garnish: Garnish with cilantro and/or Parmesan Cheese and enjoy!
If you eat fish, go ahead and add anchovies for additional flavor. Use 1 (2-ounce) can of anchovies packed in oil (drained), adding it to the pot along with the other ingredients. I think their salty, pungent flavor offsets the sweetness of a typical tomato-based sauce.
*Save those crushed red pepper packets from your pizza order, they work perfectly in this recipe.
You can find this recipe and more in the e-book version of my new cookbook The Instant Pot College Cookbook available TODAY as an ebook or preorder for 12/11/18 book! It’s filled with 75 home-style quick and delicious meals to get any college kid through finals without starving. Consider sharing your thoughts with an Amazon e-book review: https://amzn.to/2DerUnQ