Irresistible Christmas Crack – The Ultimate Sweet and Saltine Sensation
Indulge in the addictive delight of Christmas Crack, also known as Sweet and Saltine or Saltine Toffee. This easy-to-make treat combines the perfect blend of sweet and salty, making it a must-have for the holiday season. Be warned: this treat is not only a joy to eat but also dangerously addictive to make!
It’s Christmas Crack, named because you crack it apart, or Sweet and Saltine; however, after your first taste, you’ll find it ADDICTING. This easy recipe will have you drooling through the holiday season!
Sweet and Saltine, Saltine Toffee or Christmas Crack, this recipe is simple, made with simple ingredients you probably already have, and is inexpensive but beyond that, it’s impressive and will have everyone dubbing you the BEST gift giver or hostess in all the Hostess World.
The delicious treat is perfect for cookie exchanges and holiday cookie plates.
It’s Simple Ingredients:
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Servings: Approximately 24 servings
For the Toffee Layer:
- 1 Sleeve Saltines
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) brown sugar
- 1 cup (240 g) butter
For the Chocolate Layer:
- 1 package (about 2 cups) milk chocolate chips, semisweet chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, or Hershey Kisses
- 3/4 cup (90 g) chopped pecans
- 1 cup (240 ml) Crushed Candy Canes
Expanded Ingredients (Flavor Profile): This delightful Christmas Crack combines the crisp texture of saltine crackers with a luscious toffee layer made from a perfect blend of brown sugar and butter. The choice of semi-sweet chocolate chips adds a balance of sweetness without overpowering the senses. Customize your crack with a variety of toppings such as crunchy pretzels, colorful M&Ms, almond slivers, sweetened shredded coconut, dried cranberries, dried cherries, marshmallows, and the festive touch of crushed candy canes. The coarse sea salt enhances the overall flavor, creating a harmonious sweet and salty symphony.
- It’s addicting! The combination of sweet and salty, homemade toffee and chocolate, with a crisp texture makes this candy recipe addicting. Even a double batch will disappear! It’s candy crack, People!
How to Make Christmas Crack
Preheat and Prepare: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius). Line a 10″ x 15″ baking sheet with aluminum foil, lightly greased with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
Create the Base: Arrange a single layer of saltine crackers on the prepared baking sheet.
Make the Toffee Mixture: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add brown sugar, increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring continuously. Pour the toffee over the saltines, spreading it evenly.
Bake: Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. Be cautious, as the sugar mixture will be molten. If saltines shift, rearrange with a fork. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes, creating the toffee layer.
Chocolate Layer: Sprinkle chocolate chips over the toffee-covered saltines. Let sit for 5 minutes to melt. Spread the melted chocolate evenly with a spatula.
Optional Toppings: If desired, sprinkle on pecans or crushed candy canes, pressing lightly into the chocolate.
Cool and Set: Allow the Christmas Crack to cool at room temperature, then transfer to the refrigerator to harden.
Break and Store: Once hardened, break the candy into small pieces and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Experiment with different toppings to create your signature Christmas Crack.
- For a peanut butter twist, add 3/4 cup of peanut butter to the brown sugar in the toffee mixture.
Q: Can I make Christmas Crack in advance?
A: Yes, you can prepare this easy Christmas dessert up to 3 days in advance. Store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
Q: Why is it called Christmas Crack?
A: The name comes from the addictive quality of the treat; once you try it, you’ll keep coming back for more. It’s not just a treat to eat but also a joy to make!
WARNING: Christmas Crack is addictive.
Not only to EAT but MAKE…my husband will even participate in this kitchen creation!
Peanut Butter Toffee Christmas Crack:
Add a new flavor level to this already amazing Christmas Crack Candy recipe–Peanut Butter.
Simply add 3/4 cup peanut butter with the brown sugar and continue the recipe as outlined above.
Check out our other great Christmas and Holiday recipes.
- 1 Sleeve Saltines
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 package chocolate chips or Hershey Kisses
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans(optional)
- 1 Cup Crushed Candy Canes (optional)
- Christmas Crack Recipe Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a 10" x 15" cookie sheet (I use a jelly roll pan because it has edges) with foil and lightly grease with butter.
- Cover the cookie sheet with a single layer of saltines.
- Bring butter and brown sugar to a boil. Boil for 4 minutes, stirring with a whisk.
- Pour over the saltines, and try to spread it as evenly as possible.
- Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. Upon removing the sugar mixture is molten--be careful!
- If your saltines shifted while in the oven, rearrange with a fork.
- Allow to cool about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the saltines and let sit for about 5 minutes to melt. Note: We have also placed one Hershey's Peppermint Kiss on each saltine for a variation of flavor.
- Once melted spread chocolate evenly. If desired, sprinkle on pecans or crushed candy canes and press lightly into the chocolate.
- Allow to cool and then transfer to the refrigerator to harden.
- Once it has set, break the candy into small pieces and place it in containers.
When you remove from oven, be cautious, the sugar will be molten.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 81mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 1gSugar: 15gProtein: 1g
This nutritional information may not be accurate