Indulge in Luxury: The $1,000 Sundae Experience Explore this extravagant ice cream treat called Golden Opulence Sundae.
Remember that scene where actors John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale slurp through straws and gaze lovingly at each other in the romantic chick-flick Serendipity?
Turns out the movie title, and that ice cream came from an eatery whose name Serendipity 3 is where the film’s title spawned.
The movie launched the eatery into expansion from New York to Boca Raton, then Caesar’s Palace and Georgetown.
Now, In honor of National Ice Cream Month, Serendipity 3, the ice cream parlor to the stars, celebrates with their incredible Guinness World Record dessert – The $1,000.00 Golden Opulence Sundae!
Feast your eyes on all its beauty!
Ice cream is serious business at Serendipity 3 – from the Outrageous Banana Split to the edible work of art – the Golden Opulence Sundae.
Serendipity 3 continues to be at the forefront of ice cream creations.
In 2004, Serendipity celebrated its fiftieth anniversary by introducing the record-breaking Golden Opulence Sundae, listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the most expensive dessert, at $1000.
Serendipity has been popular since it started making ice cream back in 1954.
Regulars have included Marilyn Monroe, Andy Warhol, and First Lady Jackie Kennedy Onassis, who once tried to buy the recipe for the Frrrozen Hot Chocolate for an event she was throwing.
Instead, Serendipity 3 founder, Stephen Bruce, refused though he did offer to come and make the frozen drink for her party himself.
But back to why we’re here.
The Golden Opulence Sundae.
It’s going to take more than a New York Minute to feast on this ice cream art.
It must be ordered 48-hours in advance.
What $1,000 Sundae Includes:
- 3 scoops of the richest Tahitian vanilla ice cream infused with Madagascar vanilla beans and covered in 23K edible gold
- Drizzles of the world’s most expensive chocolate, Amedei Porcelana and the rarest, Amedei Chuao Chocolate, which is made from cocoa beans harvested from an island off the coast of Venezuela.
- Suffused with exotic candied fruit from Paris, gold dragees, chocolate truffles from Switzerland
- Topped with a gold plated sugar orchid
- A tiny bowl of Grande Passion caviar, exclusive dessert caviar, made of salt-free American Golden caviar, known for its sparkling golden color and infused with passion fruit and Armagnac, accompanies the sundae
- Served in a Baccarat crystal goblet (that you get to take home with you)
- 18K gold spoon is used to partake in this incredible indulgence
Monroe, Warhol, Grace Kelly, and Cary Grant have handed off the status baton to modern celebrities such as Beyonce, Blake Lively, Selena Gomez, and Kim Kardashian; Serendipity 3 remains a must-visit destination.
The restaurant has been the setting of three major Hollywood films – One Fine Day with George Clooney and Michelle Pfeiffer, Serendipity with John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale, and Trust the Man with Julianne Moore and David Duchovny.
Owner and founder, Stephen Bruce, continues to reinvent an outrageous whimsical world full of outrageous food, decadent desserts, and outlandish merchandise, all located in a Tiffany-jeweled fantasy setting.
Golden Opulence Sundae
In 2004, Serendipity marked its 50th anniversary with the extravagant Golden Opulence Sundae, earning a place in the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s priciest dessert at $1,000.
- 5 scoops of Tahitian vanilla ice cream
- 23K edible gold leaf
- Amedei Porcelana chocolate
- Grand Passion caviar
- Passion fruit-infused orange
How to Make a Golden Opulence $1000 Sundae
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Begin by chilling an exquisite Baccarat Harcourt crystal goblet in the freezer for a while.
- Scoop 5 generous scoops of Tahitian vanilla ice cream into the goblet.
- Drape each scoop with 23K edible gold leaf, creating a shimmering, opulent layer.
- Grate Amedei Porcelana chocolate, the world’s most expensive chocolate, over the gold-adorned ice cream.
- Add a drizzle of the rarest and most expensive chocolate sauce, made from Amedei Porcelana chocolate and infused with exotic fruits.
- Top it off with a dollop of Grand Passion caviar, renowned for its exceptional flavor.
- Finish with a fresh twist of passion fruit-infused orange, providing a delightful contrast to the richness.
- Handle the gold leaf with care to avoid tearing it.
- Use a fine grater for the Amedei Porcelana chocolate to create delicate shavings.
- Serve on a silver platter to enhance the opulence.
This dessert is meant to be savored immediately to experience its full glory.
Unlikely, but if you do have leftovers, remove the caviar and consume the rest within a day.
Q1: Can I use any vanilla ice cream? A1: While you can use regular vanilla ice cream, Tahitian vanilla ice cream complements the flavors best.
Q2: Where can I buy edible gold leaf? A2: Visit a specialty food store or purchase online.
Q3: Is there a vegetarian alternative to caviar? A3: Yes, you can use vegetarian caviar made from seaweed.
Q4: Can I make this without the 23K gold leaf? A4: You can, but the gold leaf adds a unique luxury to the dessert.
- The $1,000 Sundae
- Serendipity Golden Opulence Sundae
Celebrate National Ice Cream Month with the world’s most decadent ice cream creation – Serendipity’s Golden Opulence Sundae!