This Instant Pot Sesame Chicken recipe is better than take-out with a sticky-sweet sauce and a little kick!
My husband grew up in the Bay Area. He knows what good Asian food should taste like, so his standards are high. I had resolved never to make Asian food because his criticism wasn’t worth it. Then I had success with Instant Pot Pho, and he praised it, giving feedback to perfect it. My confidence was high, so one night I made Instant Pot Pork Fried Rice with this Instant Pot Sesame Chicken. I’m certain he said he loved me at least twice during the meal!
You may also want to check out my Pinterest Instant Pot board for more great recipes like this pressure cooker Sesame Chicken!
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can still partake:
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Function and Time: Manual or Pressure Cook 3-minutes, saute 5-minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes
Release Method + Time: Quick Release
Total Time: 26 minutes
Instant Pot Sesame Seed Chicken Ingredients:
- 1 pound chicken tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch, divided
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. Sesame Oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tsp. sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, optional
Instant Pot Sesame Seed Chicken Directions:
- Prepare the Instant Pot. Press saute and add 1 Tbsp. Sesame oil.
- Prepare the chicken. In a small bowl, combine 1 Tbsp. of the cornstarch with the salt. Toss chicken pieces into the mixture until chicken is coated evenly. Add chicken to Instant Pot and allow to cook in the oil for 4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Prepare the sauce. In a small mixing bowl combine the soy sauce, ketchup, and red pepper flakes and stir until well combined. Pour this sauce over the chicken in the Instant Pot.
- Lock Lid and Set Time. Lock the lid in place and turn the valve to the “sealing” position and press Manual or Pressure Cook. Set the timer for 3-minutes.
- Quick Release. When timer beeps, Quick Release.
- Add Honey and Oil. Open the lid once the pressure has been released and stir in the remaining 1 Tbsp. of sesame oil and the honey. Stir quickly to combine.
- Thicken the Sauce. Press Saute on the Instant Pot. In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 1 Tbsp Cornstarch into the water until it is smooth. Stir this cornstarch and water into the chicken, constantly stirring for 2 minutes or until sauce reaches desired consistency.
- Serve. Remove chicken from Instant Pot and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve alone, or over rice or noodles
Mix up the sauce, cut up the chicken and sear it quickly in the oil over medium heat. Add the sauce. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to low and simmer, covered for 5 minutes. Mix the water and cornstarch and add to the sauce, stirring until incorporated and continue to simmer until thickened.
I have a new book coming out called The Instant Pot College Cookbook: 75 Quick and Easy meals that Taste Like Home preorder on Amazon here. It arrives December 11, 2018.