This Instant Pot Northern Beans Recipe is delicious and easy. It is the ultimate in comfort food on a cold day. It seems to warm the soul more than the belly.
Depending on what part of the country you come from, this recipe may be called Instant Pot Great Northern Bean Recipe, or Instant Pot Navy Beans Recipe. These are the white beans, smaller than cannelloni beans, flat, and with a shape similar to a lima bean. They have a very delicate flavor.
I always seem to be running and the last thing I want to do when I get home is to stand over a hot stove–though sometimes I do.
This is my mother-in-law’s recipe, adapted for the Instant Pot. It’s an Instant Pot Basic Beans Recipe.
Instant Pot Northern Beans Recipe Ingredients:
1 lb Northern Beans
1 ham hock
32 ounces Chicken Broth
2 carrots, peeled and cut into discs, optional
1 medium onion, peeled and coarsely chopped, optional
1 bay leaf, optional
Instant Pot Northern Beans Recipe Directions:
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Function and Time: Manual or High 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Release Method + Time: Natural Pressure Release 10-minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1pound dried beans, rinsed and sorted
- 8cups water
- 2teaspoons salt
- 1tablespoon apple cider vinegar, optional
- 1bay leaf, optional
- 1onion, peeled and quartered, optional
- Prepare the Beans: Rinse and sort the beans (floating beans should be discarded). Add All ingredients to the Instant Pot.
- Lock Lid and Set Time. Place lid on Instant Pot and lock into place. Turn the valve to the “sealing” position. Press Manual or Pressure Cook and set the time to 30-minutes.
- Natural Pressure Release. When timer beeps, allow Natural Pressure Release for at least 10-minutes and then quick release remaining steam.
- Thicken, if Desired. For a thicker bean soup, use a fork to mash some of the beans against the Instant Pot bowl.