There is something about comfort food on a cold day that seems to warm more than the belly. I always seem to be running and the last thing I want to do when I get home is stand over a hot stove–though sometimes I do.
Through the years I’ve been given a lot of bean recipes. Some have been better than others and some have been more complicated than others. In the end, I created my own easy, effortless northern beans recipe. I have people ask me for it all the time. I once made it for my team when I was a Team Lead and they loved me for it.
Anyway, nothing fancy. If you can open a box, you’re pretty much guaranteed success.
- 1 lb bag of Northern Beans
- 1 ham hock
- 1 box Chicken Broth
- carrots, optional
- onions, optional
- Dump Northern Beans in bowl.
- Cover beans with cold water.
- Allow beans to soak overnight.
- In the morning, add more cold water, if needed.
- skim off floating beans.
- Drain water from beans.
- Add beans to slow cooker
- Dump in beans
- *See below if using onions and/or carrots
- Toss in Ham Hock
- Pour in chicken Broth...it should cover the beans.
- Turn slow cooker on high and cook 6-8 hours.
- Mash some of the beans against the side of the slow cooker with a spoon--or don't.
- *If you are using carrots and/or onions, slice thinly and saute until tender. Toss in with beans