As the weather becomes colder, I love making stew and this Instant Pot Basic Beef Stew recipe is the perfect all-in-one meal. It showcases tender, moist stew meat, perfectly cooked potatoes, and vegetables all smothered in a rich, hearty broth.
This recipe is my favorite go-to. It’s a basic recipe. It is simple, but it can also serve as the foundation for something more.
You may also want to check out my Pinterest Instant Pot board for more great recipes like this pressure cooker beef stew!
Instant Pot Basic Beef Stew Recipe Ingredients:
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1.5 ounces) beef stew seasoning mix
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges (or chopped)
- 8 carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 potatoes, scrubbed or peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 celery stocks, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 4 ounce can green chiles
Instant Pot Basic Beef Stew Recipe Directions:
- Prepare the beef: In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour and the beef stew seasoning packet. Toss the stew meat with the flour mixture until coated.
- Brown the beef: select saute and adjust the heat to high. Add the oil to the inner cooking pot. Add about half of the meat to the oil and brown (the longer you brown the meat, the darker your sauce will be). Transfer the browned beef to a plate and repeat with the remaining meat. Add the broth and onion and return the first batch of beef to the pot.
- Pressure cook the beef. Lock the lid into place and turn the valve to “sealing”. Select Manual or Pressure Cook and adjust the pressure to High. Set the time for 30-minutes. When cooking ends, turn the valve to “venting” to quick release the pressure.
- Add the remaining ingredients: Unlock and remove the lid. Add the carrots, potatoes, celery, salt, and pepper.
- Pressure Cook. Lock the lid into place and turn the valve to “sealing”. select Manual or Pressure Cook and adjust the pressure to High. Set the time for 8-minutes. When cooking ends, carefully turn the valve to “venting” to quick release the pressure. Unlock and remove the lid.