This Grilled Cake with Fruit recipe, inspired by a delightful neighborhood party theme, “What’s in Your Grill,” has become a staple at our gatherings. The versatility of this dessert, complemented by a luscious fruit sauce, makes it a perfect choice for both backyard barbecues and camping adventures.
Indulge in the perfect summer treat with our Grilled Cake with Fruit recipe, a delightful twist on classic pound cake that takes your outdoor grilling experience to the next level. Immerse yourself in the rich, smoky flavors of grilled pound cake cubes, expertly brushed with melted butter, creating a caramelized exterior that adds a satisfying crunch to each bite. The star of this dessert is the homemade berry sauce, featuring a blend of mixed berries, a hint of lemon juice, and a touch of vanilla extract. This recipe is a seamless fusion of sweet and tangy, offering a refreshing alternative to traditional desserts for your BBQ gatherings or campfire escapades.
Grilled Cake with Fruit
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 2 heaping cups mixed frozen berries (raspberries, blueberries)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 store-bought pound cake, cut into cubes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Berries: The combination of raspberries and blueberries brings a burst of vibrant color and a harmonious blend of sweet and tart flavors to the dish.
Lemon Juice: The addition of fresh lemon juice adds a zesty and citrusy kick, enhancing the overall brightness of the fruit sauce.
Granulated Sugar: Balancing the tartness of the berries, sugar plays a crucial role in sweetening the fruit sauce, ensuring a perfect harmony of flavors.
Vanilla Extract: A touch of pure vanilla extract elevates the dessert’s aroma, providing a subtle but essential layer of flavor to the sauce.
Cornstarch: This ingredient serves as a thickening agent, giving the fruit sauce a luscious and velvety consistency.
Pound Cake: Opting for a store-bought pound cake saves time, and its dense, buttery texture pairs exceptionally well with the grilled fruit.
Unsalted Butter: Brushing the pound cake cubes with melted butter before grilling enhances the caramelization and imparts a rich, smoky flavor.
How to Make Grilled Cake with Fruit:
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine berries, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon sugar, vanilla, and 1/4 cup water. Cook covered until berries soften, about 10 minutes.
- Stir the sauce, partially mashing the berries. Taste and add remaining sugar if the mixture is tart.
- In a small bowl, stir 1 tablespoon of water into the cornstarch, then mix into the berry sauce. Continue cooking, uncovered, until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
- Thread pound cake cubes onto water-soaked skewers. Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-low.
- Brush the pound cake cubes with melted butter and grill until toasted, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Spread the warm sauce on dessert plates, place 2 cake slices on each plate, and top with additional sauce.
- Soak skewers in water before threading the pound cake cubes to prevent them from burning during grilling.
- Adjust the sugar in the fruit sauce according to your taste preferences, ensuring a perfect balance between sweetness and tartness.
- Experiment with different fruit combinations to customize the dish to your liking.
Q: Can I make the fruit sauce ahead of time? A: Yes, the fruit sauce can be prepared in advance and refrigerated. Reheat gently before serving for the best flavor.
Q: Can I grill the cake indoors if I don’t have an outdoor grill? A: Absolutely! A grill pan on medium-low heat is a great indoor alternative.
Q: What other fruits can I use in the sauce? A: Feel free to experiment with a variety of berries or add sliced peaches for a delightful twist. Adjust sugar accordingly based on the fruit’s sweetness.