Skip to Content

Biggest Signs You Need to See an Orthopedic Doctor

If you’re like most people, going to the doctor is probably one of your least favorite things in the world to do.

Everything from the bloodwork to the fear of being told bad news, a doctor’s visit can be a scary experience, but it’s an essential one, especially if you feel pain daily.

It’s pretty common to have minor aches and pains on occasion from things like dislocations, sprains, or other injuries.

But when these aches and pains become a regular occurrence that disrupts your daily routine, that’s when you should consider seeing an orthopedic doctor.

Unfortunately, most people “fight through the pain” or ignore it, which causes the pain to worsen over time, and that’s the last thing you want to do. Ignoring pain can make it difficult to perform daily tasks or even cause immobility if your pain is severe enough.

If you wake up every day with back and neck pain, you shouldn’t just “fight through it.”

There are several reasons why you have back and neck pain, and ignoring it isn’t the solution.

An end to the pain could be something as simple as needing a different desk chair or practicing better posture, but you won’t ever know that if you don’t consult with a physician about your pain.

An orthopedic doctor is a doctor that specializes in the health of your bones and joints.

As humans, we have over 300 bones in our body, and if even the tiniest one is out of whack, your body will know it and react accordingly by way of pain and discomfort.

It may not always be easy to tell when you should see an orthopedic doctor based on your symptoms or level of pain, but the next time you experience pain, take note of where the pain is located and if it’s associated with your bones or joints.

Here are some signs that clearly indicate that you need to see an orthopedic doctor.

Male Traumatologist orthopedics surgeon doctor examining middle aged man patient to determine injury, pain, mobility and to diagnose medical treatment.

Signs That Let You Know You Need to See an Orthopedic Doctor

You Have a Limited Range of Motion

Have you ever felt that when you try to move, your joints feel tight or stiff?

Almost as though your joints could use a little “greasing up?”

If you’ve felt anything like that, it’s one of the top signs that let you know you need to see an orthopedic doctor; it’s also a sign of arthritis.

The sooner you get this condition checked out, the sooner you can get back to having a full range of motion.

You Feel Unstable When Walking or Standing

If you feel shaky or like you could fall when doing everyday functions like walking, sitting, or standing, that is a definite sign that something is wrong with your joints.

If it’s not treated immediately, Instability can leave serious and sometimes irreversible damages to your mobility.

You Experience Chronic Pain

Again, it’s common to have pain now and then, but when you’re suffering from pain daily, that’s not normal.

According to, chronic pain is pain that lasts three to six months or longer.

This type of pain can significantly impact how you conduct your daily activities.

Fortunately, chronic pain is very treatable, but it will require you to consult with an orthopedic doctor to find out the best form of treatment.

You Start to Have Trouble With Your Every Day Routine

Your everyday routine can be many different things, but when your normal activities start to give you issues, you have to see what’s going on.

Everything from walking your dog to mild exercises can be things you regularly do but can be heavily impacted by issues like arthritis or swollen joints.

When there’s a disruption in your daily routine, it’s nothing to ignore or wait for it to pass because it will only get worse with time.

Yes, going to the doctor can be scary, but not going can have a negative and long-lasting impact on your overall quality of life.


If you’re experiencing severe pain and it’s affecting your daily routine or making things that used to be simple become a difficult task, you need to see an orthopedic doctor as soon as you possibly can.

They may be able to treat your pain with a temporary prescription…

But then again, depending on the severity of your condition, they may have to refer you to an orthopedic surgeon.

Of course, if you live in the Kansas City area, they’ll refer you to some of the best orthopedic surgeons in Kansas City.

But the first thing you have to do is see an orthopedic doctor and get to the bottom of where your pain is coming from and why you’re experiencing it.


About Julee: Julee Morrison is an experienced author with 35 years of expertise in parenting and recipes. She is the author of four cookbooks: The Instant Pot College Cookbook, The How-To Cookbook for Teens, The Complete Cookbook for Teens, and The Complete College Cookbook. Julee is passionate about baking, crystals, reading, and family. Her writing has appeared in The LA Times (Bon Jovi Obsession Goes Global), Disney's Family Fun Magazine (August 2010, July 2009, September 2008), and My Family Gave Up Television (page 92, Disney Family Fun August 2010). Her great ideas have been featured in Disney's Family Fun (Page 80, September 2008) and the Write for Charity book From the Heart (May 2010). Julee's work has also been published in Weight Watchers Magazine, All You Magazine (Jan. 2011, February 2011, June 2013), Scholastic Parent and Child Magazine (Oct. 2011), Red River Family Magazine (Jan. 2011),, and more. Notably, her article "My Toddler Stood on Elvis' Grave and Scaled Over Boulders to Get to a Dinosaur" made AP News, and "The Sly Way I Cured My Child's Lying Habit" was featured on PopSugar. When she's not writing, Julee enjoys spending time with her family and exploring new baking recipes.
error: Content is protected !!