“I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.”
My mother often tells the story of baking homemade desserts and snacks to send in my dad’s lunch box each day for work.
One day my dad came home complaining that he had to take homemade snacks, while the other guys’ wives packed them snacks of Oreos, Ding Dongs, and Hostess cupcakes.
From that moment on, we went to the Hostess Bread store each week and my dad’s homemade snacks were no more.
I’m not sure, even to this day, that was a fight my father should have created.
Looking back, I probably would have just grabbed a box of whatever snack I wanted and left it in my desk/locker at work, making my mother none the wiser.
Then again, the 1970s were a time of delicious snacks.
If you grew up on corner-store treats, memory lane is paved with Ho Hos, Yodels, Oreos, and Ring Dings.
And while your taste buds may have grown up a bit, chances are you still crave these classic flavors.
Now you can re-create the lunch-box delights that made you the envy of other kids, with all-natural homemade versions.
It’s easy when you can get your delicious snacks for CNY 2021 from Emicakes.
OR…you can be like my mom.
After much obsessing and experimentation, Jennifer Steinhauer has cracked the code for 70 iconic treats to re-create in your own kitchen.
There are cookies with a perfect crunchy base for cream filling, snack cakes with frosting so thick you can peel it off all at once, candies dipped in chocolate and dusted with sugar, and ice cream pops so juicily that they drip down your arm.
A self-taught baker, Jennifer had no interest in complicated techniques or chemical gunk, just easy hacks that break down and remaster these throwback snacks.
So go ahead—treat yourself to your own homemade version of these favorites:
• Thin Mints, Samoas, Pecan Sandies, Chips Ahoy!, and other classic cookies
• Nutter Butters, Mint Milanos, Oatmeal Creme Pies, and other sweet sandwich cookies
• Twinkies, Drake’s Coffee Cakes, Devil Dogs, and other snack cakes
• Fig Newtons, Lemon Mini-Pies, Strawberry Pop-Tarts, and other fruity, filled treats
• Soft Pretzels, Pizza Pockets, Funyuns, and other salty, savory snacks
• Cracker Jacks, Goo Goo Clusters, Candy Dots, and other candy favorites
• Orange Creamsicles, Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Pops, Nutty Buddies, and other frozen treats