January 2nd is National Pet Travel Safety Day, and there’s no better time to educate pet parents on how to keep their four-legged companions safe while hitting the road or flying the skies. Celebrity pet expert Harrison Forbes shares the following tips to ensure Fido and/or Fluffy make it to their destination comfortably and safely.
Pet Travel Safety Tips
- The trick to a successful car ride for your pet is positive association. With your pet safely buckled up, take many short, treat-filled trips around the block. If a car ride equals fun and treats, your pet will always be up for a good road trip.
- For extra added security while on the road, a pet GPS collar is a great option. There are several on the market, including The Whistle-The Pet Tracker, a lightweight and durable device that uses advanced GPS technology to help you locate your pet if he gets lost.
- Keep Fido’s head in the car. Eye injuries, ear and lung infections are just some of the dangers of a face in the wind.
- Pet travel rules and regulations vary with airlines, so always check in advance to get their specific requirements.
- Pack a bag specifically for your pet that includes food and water, portable bowls, an extra leash, waste bags, cleaning supplies, a bed or towel, any medications, toys, and a pet first aid kit.
- Feed your pet a couple of hours prior to departure rather than right before. This can prevent them from getting sick while traveling.
Traveling with pets can be a great experience. Be prepared and keep these pet safety tips in mind as you prepare for your adventure.