Skip to Content

What To Do If You’ve Been Injured On Someone Else’s Property

If you were hurt or sustained an injury while on someone else’s property, its owner can be held responsible as they may have failed to provide the proper care and safety precautions necessary to keep you protected from harm.

According to, a person who has been injured on private property belonging to another may be able to sue for damages that they have sustained.

If you are unsure of what to do next after your accident, these steps should provide you with basic guidance on what needs to be done in case you plan to file a legal claim.

Patient in hospital

Get Medical Attention Immediately

Although this may seem obvious, people can easily sustain severe injuries that are not noticeable at first.

It is also possible for outward symptoms to only manifest after a few weeks or even months.

If you believe you have been injured, you should seek medical care from a physician immediately.

Take Photos of Your Accident

You should take pictures of the accident while everything is still in the same condition. Since most modern mobile devices have a camera, it should be very easy to snap photos of everything you need as proof.

Make sure that you’ve sufficiently captured the scene of the accident, clearly showing the dangerous conditions that have led to your injury.

Collect and Preserve Relevant Evidence

Obtain the names and contact details of all individuals who may have witnessed the accident.

People who can describe conditions, such as the security, flooring, and lighting at the time of the incident can help back your case.

You should also preserve as much evidence as possible like the clothes and shoes you wore when the accident happened.

These items need to be stored and secured without being cleaned or washed.

Keep Medical and Expense Records

You may be eligible to receive compensation for your medical expenses, lost income, and other damages as a result of your injury.

However, you must first prove that these damages occurred.

That is why you should obtain medical records from treating physicians, information on the procedures done, and any receipts for personal expenses.

Do Not Give a Statement Without First Speaking to a Lawyer

After an accident that occurred on someone else’s property, you may be contacted by an agent from the other party to obtain details about your accident.

They may even ask that you sign a release form.

Before deciding to speak or sign any document, you should first consult with a lawyer who represents your interests in your case.


Personal injury attorneys can assist you when you have been hurt on someone else’s property.

These experts are capable of proving any dangerous conditions at the scene of the accident, the extent of injuries you’ve sustained, explaining why you are not at fault, and more.

An experienced personal injury lawyer is there to help if you slip and fall.

He or she can assist you in determining what you need to do next and whether you can file for a claim to pursue compensation for damages.

Following the steps provided in this article should help prepare you for what you need to do in case you are injured elsewhere other than your property.


error: Content is protected !!