Makes 4 to 6 servings
Fresh goodness and color are at the heart of this fresh chopped salad. A citrus marinade refreshes these chopped veggies. This is a wonderful vegetarian meal but can be topped with chicken or steak as well.
- Instead of canned corn, you can use 11⁄2 cups thawed frozen corn kernels or cooked fresh corn in this recipe. Grilled or fire-roasted corn will add additional flavor.
- Cotija is a crumbly, sharp Mexican cheese. You could substitute feta or goat cheese.
- Dressing is best served at room temperature.
- 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp minced cilantro
- 1 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp liquid honey
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 can (14 to 19 oz) black or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped peeled jicama
- 1 can (14 to 15 oz) corn kernels, drained (see Tips)
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper, seeded, cored and diced
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled Cotija cheese (see Tips)
- Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, hot pepper flakes, garlic and honey.
- Spread lettuce evenly across a large serving platter. Arrange beans, jicama, corn, bell pepper and avocado side by side on top of lettuce. Garnish with cheese. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Drizzle with dressing before serving.