These Baked Coney Island Chili Cheese Dogs are easy enough for my kiddos to make on their own. They are quick and my kiddos will eat three and say, “My belly is so full, but I want more!”
Say buh-bye to boiling hotdogs and offer these delicious chili dogs to your family instead.
A Coney Island Chili Cheese dog is a hot dog topped with chili, cheese, mustard, and onions. The chili may contain meat and beans, that’s up to you and whether you’re from the school of thought that chili has beans, or does not.
While you may be familiar with the popular New York Amusement Park, Coney Island, it’s a misconception that the Coney Island Chili Cheese dog originated here. Sure Nathan’s made the basic frank in a bun a popular must-try food, but there is debate as to the origins of the Coney Island Chili Cheese Dog.
A Coney Island pie-wagon vendor, Charles Feltman, who is credited with inventing the hot dog as fast food and selling 3,684 hot dachshund sausages in milk rolls in 1871 may be the origin.
Some also credit immigrating Greeks who came to America through Ellis Island and settled in Michigan, “Many of them passed through New York’s Ellis Island and heard about or visited Coney Island, later borrowing this name for their hot dogs, according to one legend,” wrote Katherine Yung and Joe Grimm in their 2012 book Coney Detroit.
Baked Coney Island Chili Cheese Dogs
Baked Coney Island Chili Cheese Dogs Ingredients
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 (10 ounce) can hot dog chili
- shredded cheese
- chopped onions, optional
- chopped jalapenos, optional
Baked Coney Island Chili Cheese Dogs Directions
- Line a 13″x9″ baking pan with aluminum foil. I spritz mine with non-stick spray.
- Open each of the hot dog buns and swipe mayo and mustard on the inside.
- Place hot dog in a bun, on top of mayonnaise and mustard.
- Cover top with hot dog chili
- Add onions, jalapenos or whatever you like with your chili cheese dog.
- Cover with cheese.
- Place aluminum foil over hot dogs (make sort of a tent so the cheese doesn’t stick to it.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Baked Coney Island Chili Cheese Dogs Recipe
A Coney Island Chili Cheese dog is a hot dog topped with chili, cheese, mustard, and onions. Say buh-bye to boiled hot dogs and serve these instead!
- • 8 hot dogs
- • 8 hot dog buns
- • mayonnaise
- • mustard
- • 1 (10 ounce) can hot dog chili
- • shredded cheese
- • chopped onions, optional
- • chopped jalapenos, optional
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 hot dog
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 335Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 726mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 12g
The Nutritional Information may not be accurate.