Craft mouthwatering savory chicken taquitos with creamy cheese blend with our easy recipe. Perfect for parties or quick dinners. Freezable for future fiestas!
Discover the Tale of the Taquitos
The beloved taquito, a classic Tex-Mex creation, has a rich history dating back to Mexican and American culinary fusion. Today, we’ll present a delectable twist on this timeless delight: Savory Chicken Taquitos with a Creamy Cheese Blend.
Savory Chicken Taquitos with Creamy Cheese Blend
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
Refrigeration Time: 30 minutes (optional)
Freezer Friendly: Yes
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken (240g)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (240g)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened (113g)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Small flour tortillas
- Using pre-cooked chicken makes this recipe a breeze.
- Opt for low-fat cream cheese for a lighter version.
- Customize your taquitos with a choice of salsa, from mild to spicy.
How to Make Chicken and Cheese Taquitos
- Prep the Flavorful Filling
- In a mixing bowl, combine the shredded chicken, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, Monterey Jack cheese, cream cheese, and salsa. Mix until well incorporated. This creamy blend is the heart and soul of your taquitos.
- Assemble the Taquitos
- Lay out the small tortillas flat on a clean surface. Place a generous scoop of the chicken and cheese mixture in the center of each tortilla.
- Roll ‘Em Up
- Carefully roll up each tortilla, ensuring the filling is snugly tucked inside. Place the taquitos seam-side down on a plate or tray.
- Optional Chilling (Refrigeration Time)
- If you’d like to prepare these in advance, cover the taquitos with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. This step is optional but can help the flavors meld together.
- Bake to Perfection
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Brush the tops of the taquitos lightly with oil to help them turn golden and crispy. Place the taquitos on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until they are wonderfully golden and crispy.
- Serve and Savor
- Once your taquitos are out of the oven, serve them hot and crispy. They are perfect for dipping into your favorite sauces like guacamole, sour cream, or extra salsa.
FAQs for the Recipe
Can I Make It in Advance? Absolutely! You can assemble the taquitos ahead of time and refrigerate them for up to a day before baking. It’s a great time-saver for busy days.
Can I Freeze This Dish? Certainly! After assembling the taquitos, place them on a baking sheet and freeze until solid. Once frozen, transfer them to a resealable bag. They can be stored in the freezer for up to three months. When ready to enjoy, bake from frozen at 375°F (190°C) for about 25-30 minutes.
What can I use instead of cream cheese? If you prefer a different filling, you can substitute the cream cheese with sour cream, Greek yogurt, or even refried beans for a unique twist.
How can I make it spicier? To add some heat to your taquitos, consider using spicy salsa, or you can include chopped jalapeños or red pepper flakes in the filling.
Can I make them with corn tortillas? While this recipe uses flour tortillas, you can absolutely use corn tortillas if you prefer. Just ensure they are pliable by heating them briefly in the microwave or on a dry skillet.
Known Alternate Names for the Recipe
- Chicken and Cheese Taquitos
- Rolled Chicken Tacos
- Creamy Chicken Flautas
Now, you’re all set to whip up these delightful Savory Chicken Taquitos with a Creamy Cheese Blend. Enjoy every crispy, cheesy bite!