Hey! Get a Job” is an engaging and insightful self-help book written by Jinnie Withers. With a casual and friendly tone, the author provides valuable advice and guidance on finding and securing your dream job in today’s competitive world. This book is your ultimate companion on the journey to landing that perfect job.
1. The Job Search Journey:
- Prep Time: The job search can vary in duration, but typically takes several weeks to months.
- Introduction: Discover the exciting journey of searching for your dream job and how this book can guide you through it.
2. Crafting Your Resume and Cover Letter:
- Prep Time: A few hours to create a strong resume and cover letter.
- Expert Tips: Learn the art of creating a resume and cover letter that stand out, highlighting your skills and experiences.
3. Job Interviews That Wow:
- Prep Time: Preparing for interviews can take days to weeks.
- Expert Tips: Get ready to impress your potential employers with tips on acing interviews and presenting yourself confidently.
4. Networking and Building Connections:
- Prep Time: Ongoing – networking is a long-term investment.
- Expert Tips: Discover the power of networking, both online and offline, to expand your job opportunities.
5. Navigating the Online Job Market:
- Prep Time: Ongoing – regularly update your online profiles.
- Expert Tips: Learn how to effectively use online job boards and social media in your job search.
6. Salary Negotiation and Benefits:
- Prep Time: Negotiating job offers can take several days.
- Expert Tips: Uncover strategies for negotiating your salary and benefits package like a pro.
7. Handling Rejections and Staying Positive:
- Prep Time: Varies, but it’s essential to maintain a positive attitude.
- Expert Tips: Learn how to cope with rejection and keep your job search momentum going.
8. Resources for Job Seekers:
- Prep Time: Ongoing – keep exploring new resources.
- Expanded Information: Discover a list of valuable resources, including job search websites, career counseling services, and more.
9. Success Stories and Inspirational Quotes:
- Prep Time: Grab a cup of coffee and get inspired.
- Expanded Information: Read inspiring stories of individuals who successfully landed their dream jobs, along with motivating quotes to keep you going.
“Hey! Get a Job” is your go-to resource for embarking on a successful job search journey. With Jinnie Withers’ expert advice and a dash of motivation, you’ll be well-prepared to tackle the job market and land the job of your dreams. So, what are you waiting for? Get started on your path to success!
Our Hey! Get a Job Book Review
Anyone who has watched daytime TV knows Judge Joe Brown and his infamous words, “Get a J-O-B!” Turns out it’s not just about the folks on his show, it’s hit an entire generation called our kids. Maybe they want a job and they just aren’t certain how to go about pursuing and obtaining a job. Once they have the job, there’s the issue of keeping it.
My kiddos have been go-getters when it comes to employment. I remember last summer, the day after Zac graduated high school, he was putting in applications everywhere. It went on for two weeks until he was hired by Walmart, where he was dedicated to his schedule and work performance.
On the other hand, I have witnessed young adults in this generation who haven’t been as outgoing. Hey, Get a Job! is a book that addresses this directly. I love the “Rules of Life” the book opens with–they are basic guidelines that I would like to believe I have raised my children with: “The world won’t care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something before you feel good about yourself.” How true is that…I don’t know even as 43 that I feel great about myself most days, but I do know that I have accomplished many great things.
This book is more what I felt was a workbook. It shows the grit of getting, having and keeping a job.
- Learn the labor laws for minors
- Discover creative ways to find jobs
- Complete an application and resume correctly
- Prepare for the interview
- Preview post hire procedures
- Know workplace expectations
- Understand a good versus bad employer
- Manage hard earned money
- Get answer to Frequently Asked Questions
While different jobs have different needs and develop different skills, the core of any good employee rests in Chapter Six: dependability, literacy and integrity. This might have been my favorite chapter because I truly believe with these basic values an employer will see you as valuable and invest the time it takes to help you be successful.
This is not to say some employers won’t try and take advantage of you. I think this was my most difficult lesson in the work force. Understanding when the line had been crossed and I was being taken advantage of; this book does an outstanding job of covering this topic.
Like any workbook, there are text boxes, quotes and real-life examples. It’s short and too the point.
I recommend Hey, Get a Job: A Teen Guide for Getting and Keeping a Job to anyone…teen or older. It’s a great resource that gives understanding to the workplace. And that can only lead to self-confidence and better performance!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”.