We are year-round grillers. I love the taste and ease of cooking on a grill. May is National Barbecue Month. I’m sure this means that many are uncovering their grills and preparing for the season when backyards smell amazing.
I love experimenting with marinades. Most of ours are made from scratch due to store-bought marinades being loaded with sugar and sodium. Let’s face it, there’s more to taste than those two ingredients! The Juice Products Association (JPA) shares some best practices for grilling with marinades and the benefits of grilling with 100% fruit juice!
Tips on Making the Best of your 100% Juice Marinade
1. Can I marinate my meat at room temperature? Always refrigerate your meat while marinating it. Bacteria multiply rapidly as air temperature increases, creating a food safety hazard.
2. What type of container should I use? Plastic zip bags and glass bowls are best for marinating food. The acidic component of a marinades can react with metal containers and alter the flavor.
3. How much marinade do I need? Approximately 1/2 -1 cup of marinade per pound of meat is optimal for marinating with 100% fruit juice marinades – if you are marinating on a flat dish, you might want to estimate a little more.
Citrus juices, apple, grape, even the more exotic tropical juices all make excellent marinade bases to boost the flavor of your favorite grill staples. With such a wide array of 100% juices to choose from, you can create a different flavored marinade for every day of the summer!
Speedy Barbecue Sauce with 100% Grape Juice
Makes about 2 cups
· 1/4 cup cider vinegar
· 1/2 cup 100% Grape Juice
· 1/2 cup 100% White Grape Juice
· 1 cup canned tomatoes, crushed, diced or pureed
· 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
· 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
· 1 tablespoon tomato paste
· 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
· 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
Combine all the ingredients in a medium size saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and cool slightly before using. Store in refrigerator.
Serving Size: 2 Tablespoons
Nutrition Per Serving: 25 calories, 0g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g protein, 6g carbohydrate, 45mg sodium, 0g fiber
For more fun facts about 100% Juice visit www.fruitjuicefacts.org!