Indulge in a savory symphony of flavors with our Creamy Mushroom Chicken Skillet. This delectable dish combines tender chicken, earthy mushrooms, and a velvety mushroom sauce that will tantalize your taste buds.
History of the Dish
This classic recipe has its roots in the timeless comfort food tradition. It’s been a household favorite for generations, loved for its simplicity and incredible taste. The combination of chicken and mushrooms in a creamy sauce has been cherished in various cultures worldwide.
Creamy Mushroom Chicken Skillet
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 8 ounces (225g) fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups (480ml) chicken broth
- Seasoning Bliss: Mix the garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika in a small bowl to ensure even distribution of flavors on the chicken.
- Mushroom Magic: Slicing mushrooms adds an extra layer of texture and flavor to the dish. You can use various types of mushrooms for a unique twist.
- Flour Power: Sprinkling flour over the mushrooms will help thicken the sauce, creating that creamy consistency you love.
How to Make Creamy Mushroom Chicken Skillet
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
- Season both sides of the chicken breasts with the seasoning mixture.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the seasoned chicken. Cook until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- In the same skillet, add the butter. When it starts foaming, add the sliced mushrooms and cook for 1-2 minutes until they start to brown.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and stir frequently for about a minute until the flour is well incorporated.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, stirring in small circles to avoid lumps. Bring the mixture to a simmer and let it cook for about 5 minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken.
- Return the cooked chicken to the skillet, spooning the mushroom sauce over the top. Cover the skillet and cook for an additional 2-5 minutes until the chicken is heated through and the flavors meld together.
Storage and Leftovers
If you happen to have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. When reheating, add a splash of chicken broth to maintain the creamy texture.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1: Can I use bone-in chicken for this recipe? A1: Absolutely! Bone-in chicken thighs or drumsticks work well, but you may need to adjust the cooking time.
Q2: Can I substitute the chicken broth? A2: You can use vegetable broth or even white wine for a unique twist. However, chicken broth provides the classic flavor.
Q3: What sides pair best with this dish? A3: Mashed potatoes, rice, or a simple green salad make great accompaniments. The creamy mushroom sauce complements a variety of sides.
- Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Skillet
- Mushroom Smothered Chicken
- Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce