California Dreaming Slaw Recipe
This refreshing and vibrant California Broccoli Slaw with Olives and Peaches is a delightful blend of textures and flavors. The crisp broccoli slaw pairs perfectly with the sweetness of diced peaches and the savory tang of sliced olives. The creamy dressing, made with a combination of Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, fresh lime juice, and a touch of salt, brings all the ingredients together for a balanced and delicious dish.
History of the Dish:
The origins of this dish can be traced back to California, where the abundance of fresh produce inspires creative and vibrant recipes. Combining the health benefits of broccoli, the Mediterranean influence of olives, and the sweetness of peaches, this dish captures the essence of California’s diverse culinary landscape.
While the core recipe celebrates the harmony of flavors, variations of this dish can be explored based on personal preferences and seasonal availability. For example, you can substitute the peaches with nectarines or mangoes, or experiment with different types of olives to create unique flavor profiles.
This recipe was featured at #anc13
California Broccoli Slaw with Olives and Peaches
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Chill Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 10 (1-cup servings)
- 11.6 oz. (330 g) broccoli slaw
- 1-1/4 cups (295 g) California Ripe Olives, sliced and well-drained
- 2-1/2 cups (590 g) California Peaches, diced and well-drained
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 tablespoons (22.5 ml )fresh lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.5 ml ) salt
How to Make California Dreaming Slaw Recipe:
- In a 2-quart mixing bowl, whisk together the plain Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, fresh lime juice, and salt until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Add the broccoli slaw, sliced California Ripe Olives, and diced California Peaches to the bowl with the dressing.
- Gently mix all the ingredients together, ensuring that the dressing evenly coats the slaw, olives, and peaches.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate the slaw for at least 30 minutes. Chilling allows the flavors to meld and develop.
- When ready to serve, give the slaw a final gentle toss to make sure everything is well distributed.
- For an added layer of flavor and crunch, consider incorporating a handful of toasted nuts, such as sliced almonds or chopped walnuts, just before serving.
Storage and Leftovers:
- Store any leftover slaw in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Keep in mind that the texture of the slaw may change slightly due to the moisture content of the ingredients.
Q: Can I prepare the dressing ahead of time? A: Certainly! The dressing can be prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Combine the dressing with the slaw, olives, and peaches when you’re ready to serve.
Q: Can I use frozen peaches? A: While fresh peaches offer the best texture and flavor, if fresh peaches are not available, you can use thawed frozen peaches. Ensure they are well-drained before adding them to the slaw.
- California Peachy Olive Broccoli Slaw
- Sunshine State Mediterranean Slaw
Enjoy the California Broccoli Slaw with Olives and Peaches as a refreshing side dish or a light meal, celebrating the vibrant flavors of the Golden State!