The internet is full of content to help you understand how to make your own clothes and accessories.
For the majority of us, the ongoing pandemic has completely changed the way we live our lives. With experts advising us to wear masks, practice social distancing and only leave the house for essential purposes to help reduce the spread of the deadly virus many of us have been forced to stay at home for long periods.
It has had a devastating effect on businesses and schools, and many people throughout the world have been made unemployed or have been forced to work from home. This often means we have a lot of extra time on our hands. Instead of spending your days on social media platforms or watching NetFlix, perhaps learning a new skill would prove beneficial. For many of us, this might have been the first time in our lives that we have had all this free time, so why not make the best of a bad situation. Pandemics don’t last forever, and when this is all over you may not have the luxury of having all that free time. Instead of looking back regretting not learning a new skill, get started and buy a sewing machine or needles and some wool to help you start making your own clothes.
Benefits to Sewing
It seems almost everyone is jumping on the sewing bandwagon during the pandemic. Not surprising as there are plenty of benefits to sewing such as:
- It’s a great hobby: With gyms, cinemas, live music venues, and contact sports all canceled or closed due to the spread of the virus, many of us can’t take part in the hobbies that we used to do before the pandemic. Sewing can fill that gap.
- Make new friends: You’ll realize very quickly you’re not alone in the sewing world. There are lots of others out there who love to sew and there are plenty of online communities available to help you network with others. People who enjoy sewing are often very friendly and are quick to share tips and give advice.
- Get the kids involved: Trying to keep your kids entertained during the pandemic can be very difficult. Learning to sew requires many different skills, so teaching your children is a great way to teach them how to be creative. Sewing will teach your children patients and discipline also. Remember, it’s 2021, so boys can learn how to sew too.
Sewing doesn’t have to be expensive. You can pick up sewing machines online, or you can easily purchase a refurbished machine for much less than a new one.
Cheap clothes come at a cost. It is no secret that the fashion industry is guilty of exploiting people, animals, and natural resources. Human activities, animal rights activists, philanthropists, environmentalists, and other individuals across the globe have been battling with unethical fashion businesses for many years. You might be surprised how many large clothing labels, even in 2021 still involve themselves with unethical production practices such as:
- Child Labor: To increase revenue many clothing manufacturers employ young children from underdeveloped areas. These businesses will hire anyone who can work on the factory line. It is not uncommon for an employee aged 5 years old. They work incredibly long hours and get paid very little. The working conditions are often terrible and the children rarely get access to education.
- Health and Safety issues: These factories can often pose fatal threats to employees. These second and third-world apparel production units are often unsafe buildings and farms, and because the employees work very long hours, mistakes and injuries are common.
- Environment: Lots of toxic chemicals are used to wash into bodies of water at cotton farms. These toxins are discharged into streams or the sea nearby. At these factories, you will notice poisonous gasses gushing from the chimneys.
Creating your own clothes yourself guarantees that you won’t be funding these unethical clothing companies. There are plenty of websites online that help you know which clothing manufacturers use ethical practices and which manufacturers don’t.
Making clothes from scratch can help save money, be more creative, and fill in time during the pandemic while staying indoors. However, one of the best things about making clothes yourself is that it is extremely satisfying. A homemade scarf for the Winter or a skirt for the Summer is much more precious than a clothing item you have bought from a store. Custom-made clothes are a great idea for a gift.
To go the extra mile, you can create your own fabric labels for your new clothes. Who knows how far your journey will take you, you might even make a career out of your new hobby.