Incorporating a trailer into our vehicle is a good option if we need to expand the cargo space or transport a caravan or some other bulky item. These systems, designed to be towed by a motor vehicle, allow you to load those extra packages that do not fit in the vehicle. To use a trailer, you have to follow some simple steps that will enable you to do it safely and legally.
Travel with a Trailer: Everything You Need To Know
Travel Trailer cover:
Travel trailer cover is important for its protection from weather conditions, dings, dust, and many more. Select the best travel trailer covers according to the weather conditions or climate of the area where it is stored or used. Select the best fabric of your travel trailer cover, which is breathable, water repellant, the inner layer is soft that it won’t affect the finish of your trailer. Some other important points to be considered except travel trailer cover are:
Light or not light
The trailers are divided into two categories, light and non-light, and you will choose one or the other depending on your cargo needs.
- Light trailers are those whose maximum authorized mass (MMA) is less than or equal to 750 kilograms, and to circulate, they do not require a license or their own registration, although that of the towing vehicle; Nor do they need independent insurance.
- Non-light trailers are those whose MMA is greater than 750 kg. In this case, they will need their own towing license for the trailer, as well as specific registration and compulsory insurance outside the insurance of the towing vehicle.
Attach a trailer to your vehicle
The installation and use of a trailer in your vehicle require a coupling system that serves to fix it and establish connections with the vehicle. To install it, you must go to a trusted workshop to find out which anchor system is best suited to the characteristics of your car and trailer.
When buying a trailer, you must make sure that it is approved and that the ITV card of the trailer is delivered to you after the acquisition. The installation of a coupling system is a reform, that is, a modification of the elements of the vehicle.
Therefore, upon completion, you have a time period to verify and legalize the reform. This legalization, carried out at a Technical Vehicle Inspection Center, will appear on the back of the ITV card of the modified tractor vehicle.
It should be remembered that light trailers must carry the license plate corresponding to the towing vehicle, and non-light trailers will carry their own license plate, with a red background and the letter R, as well as the license plate of the tractor vehicle.
Check before traveling
Before starting to drive, there are some things to check on the trailer. The coupling system must be well-secured and in good condition to prevent it from decoupling. Another aspect to check is the lighting system since it is possible that there is a blown bulb, the connector does not work well or is not properly connected and does not turn on all the lights. Finally, the wheel pressure must be recommended by the manufacturer for the use of trailers.
Safety and prevention
Driving with a trailer is not the same as doing it without it, as several factors affect driving and must be taken into account for safe circulation.
There are a number of practices that will help you get safe behind the wheel:
- Trailer driving has specific speed limits, and compliance is mandatory. On highways and expressways, the limit is 90 km / h. On conventional roads, 80 km / h. And in the urban environment, the maximum speed, in general, is 50 km / h.
- Special care must be taken when driving when gusts of lateral wind blow because if they are generally dangerous, their effect is increased when carrying a trailer. Overtaking a truck with side wind can cause a detour in the trajectory, since the wind may cover tourism due to the truck, but the trailer cannot.
- The reverse maneuver works unlike a vehicle without a trailer, so it is advisable to practice the movement in a place without traffic before driving on public roads.
- For the correct operation of the trailer, the load of ten to twenty centimeters ahead of the axle of the wheels must be placed, because if it is placed towards the front, the trailer will not turn correctly.
- If the trailer limited the field of view of the mirrors, additional mirrors should be installed to increase visibility.
These were some important points to be considered for travel trailers. We mostly think about travel trailer covers, but these were some other points except travel trailer covers for protection while traveling or planning to travel on a trailer.