Knowing what to expect when you’re selling your home is one way to prepare yourself. You will want a qualified and knowledgeable team to work with. Whether you’re looking to buy or sell, check out the Keller Williams Asheville location.
Tips for Selling Your Home
Repair and Renovate
Are your windows cloudy and moldy? Does your kitchen look like a relic from 1985? It might seem redundant; after all, you’re selling your home, what do you care if you have an outdated home? If you want to sell your home as fast as possible, know that potential buyers notice these things. Spend money on repairing and renovating the parts of your home that buyers are most likely to complain about.
- A fresh coat of paint is like creating a blank canvas. Pick a neutral color that is unlikely to offend anyone and freshen up all the walls in your house.
- Bathrooms and kitchens can be costly to update, but the return on investment is worth it. Decide where you want to spend your money (are new countertops worth it? A new shower?) and get those rooms ready for buyers.
- New flooring can transform a space. If you have the money, look into installing new carpet or hardwood in central areas of the house like the living room and hallway.
Declutter and Depersonalize
As much as you love your home and want to show all the memories you have made inside of it, prospective buyers don’t like seeing them as much as you do. It hurts, but take remove all personal items and make your house look as impersonal as possible. While you are doing this, alleviate any excess clutter as well. Would you want to tour a home that looked like the sellers hadn’t taken these steps?
- Family photos, personalized gifts and albums should be packed up.
- Don’t forget potentially offensive items. You might love your giant flag with the marijuana leaf on it, but 65-year-old Glenda might not appreciate it.
- Keep your home clean. This is difficult, especially if you have kids or pets, but a realtor could call at any moment and schedule a tour. Have an empty box or bin ready to go to hide any items sitting on counters or on the floor.
Educate yourself on steps you should take for a quick, easy sale. Buyers notice more than you think, so make your home memorable to them for the right reasons!