A baby’s brain starts developing during pregnancy and develops until early adulthood. So it needs a strong base.
A brain is formed of various areas that are supposed to control everything that we do like walking, hearing till what we feel and problem-solving. Each region consists of brain cells and neurons. The communication among these neurons by passing a chemical message known as synapses. “Neuron pathways” are formed by repeatedly passing of these messages, so that to create more links. They are just like wiring of our brain. These connections are made at a faster pace, during the early years.
So how does it develop? There start a role of a parent. As a parent one can help a baby’s brain to develop more healthily. It does not need any special toys, and it is easier as well.
Are you aware?
- A wiring of the brain is not connected at birth. It is dependent on what is going on all around them, which make it active, changing and developing. It is a daily experience, by the activities like playing, interacting, learning, being read to and by being responded by the people; these all things are together developing baby’s brain.
- How does all wires set up, how the brain develops actually, does the development affect the learning language ability, solving problems. In the future, her school life may get affected by physical and emotional health and the way she reacts with other people.
- Relationships are complicated and important- It is vital to have loving, consistent, positive relationships to make a brain healthy and protected from the negative effects of stress on a brain.
- If infants feel a place they live is unsafe or frightening, then they can even feel stress though they are very young. “Toxic” stress is a dangerous form of everyday stress which can be a result of persistent problems such as poverty, marital issues, neglect, abuse, a parent who misuses a drug, exposure to violence, alcohol, or due to having a parent with no treatment taken for mental illness. Toxic stress is dangerous for baby’s brain development, which can result into learning, physical, emotional problems in childhood, which can stay back till adulthood. Talk to your doctor if you are worried about the issue at your home as well.
Brain needs during development:
- Experiences those are responsive, nurturing and positive:
Everyday experiences are responsible for shaping a baby’s brain, which includes a daily routine and people with whom your baby meets. You baby must play and live in a place where they can grow and learn new things, where they can learn to realize about their hunger or when they feel tired, stressed or they need a cuddle from you. Babies feel safe when you react to their thing positively and warmly. They feel safe, and they feel they can trust you when they are sick, upset, or distressed, and you can fulfill their needs. Babies want their loved ones to respond to them in a caring, loving and consistent manner.
- Fun Activities: You can help your baby during her growth through reading, talking, and singing. You can get down on a floor for tummy time, or you can play peek-a-boo with a 5-month old baby. Always take your baby for a walk with you, so that he/she can become familiar with the outside world, but don’t forget their safety. Always use a baby carrier while going for work. Check keepbabyclose.com/best-baby-carrier/ for best baby carriers available in the market.
- Good Food: Breast milk is the best food you can give to your baby if you can breastfeed for the first half year. Decide a feeding time correctly as it is a time when a brain develops. Experiences like contact, smiling, having a skin contact are all positive ones. Make sure you are giving iron rich food, nutrients like vegetables and fruits, as it is also helpful for brain development.
- No need of giving expensive toys: A parent who responds babies with a loving and caring faces are the best toys for them. There is a variety of electronic gadgets: DVDs are available claiming to help babies to learn things. Watching something is a passive thing instead your baby must interact with you actively and must explore a world. You can explore if you want to give your child a head start in life. Do not let children below two years watch anything.
What can be done?
- Respond to a baby: It is essential when your babies are sick, upset, hungry or just need a little comfort. Also, babies can come near you in many ways such as making sounds, babbling or smiling. A baby’s brain develops, when you respond positively and consistently.
- A safe and loving home for a baby: Try to keep your home calm.
- Let your baby explore surrounding from inside and outside: Playing is the best thing a baby can do, and you are his first mate. You can play small games with your baby which will be helpful to him. You can even have a word with your baby about the daily routines; you can show him various things and help him explore new things and senses like touching, hearing, smell, and taste.
- Regular health check-up: You should have a routine check-up by a healthcare provider. Give vaccines on time and have regular contact with your doctor about baby’s brain development.
- Developing connections with the community: There are various communities providing programs for younger families. You can get your baby to playgroups or drop-ins where you can meet other parents and can talk with professionals who can answer your questions.
- Choose good child care: Leave your baby to a caregiver who can take care of him as you do. Choose someone who will respond to your baby’s emotional needs positively, and a baby feels safe and healthy with him or her.
- Reach out if you are needy: You can surely reach out for help if you feel overwhelmed, stressed, or depressed. You can contact your family, a local community or a health provider in that case.