If you’re able to be a work-at-home mom, you’ve probably heard the phrase, “Must be nice,” muttered under the breath of an envious friend or acquaintance more times than you can count.
Unless someone has been in your shoes, though, they don’t understand that there are many obstacles that go along with the benefits of your job.
One of the biggest challenges of working from home and being a mom is the ability to stay motivated when you have so many responsibilities to juggle. Here are 6 ways to help you balance your career and personal life during those times when you just don’t feel like you can do it all.
Stay Motivated! 6 Ways to Keep on Going When You Work from Home
- Focus on your “why.” You have probably heard this just as many times as the “must be nice” phrase. But this is one that you should take to heart. When you remember why you are working from home – to pay for your children’s sports, to be free to drop everything when they have a school event, to balance a career and a personal life – whatever your why is, reminding yourself of it may help to redirect you enough to give you a jumpstart on the day.
- Keep your goals in mind. Every successful entrepreneur adds “goal setting” as one of the factors that got them where they are. Set your small goals – daily, weekly, monthly. But then set short term six-month, two-year, and five-year goals. You can always tweak them as you go through life, but if you keep looking ahead, you’ll stay on your path to where you want to go.
- Make a mental or written list of what you did accomplish that day. So many moms with a million daily responsibilities feel bogged down at the end of the day with all of the things they didn’t do. Instead of running that tally through your head, make a list of the things you did accomplish. Yes, you’ll need to keep plugging away on that to-do list, but look at all of the good you did today!
- Find work from home that you enjoy and make a good living from. If you don’t already have a job that pays the bills, it can seem like you’re spinning your wheels for nothing. There are many ways to make money online. Keep looking until you find the job that satisfies your brain, your heart, and your budget!
- Don’t forget to put yourself first. You can’t pour from an empty cup. Yes, there may be days when you just can’t squeeze in a few minutes of alone time, but don’t make them the rule instead of the exception. Take 30 minutes a day to just relax and read a book or take a bath. Go to lunch with a friend or get a pedicure. Do something without your kids and that isn’t work-related. You’ll return home rejuvenated and refreshed and able to be more productive than you would have had you forced yourself to be a mom and career-woman the entire time.
- Set priority and achievable daily goals. Don’t make your goal list for the day everything on your to-do list. Sure, that’s a great way to keep track of things that need to be done, but those tasks need to be prioritized to keep you from giving up and losing motivation when you’re overwhelmed.
Set a few tasks as your priority goals, others as second priorities, and so on. If you accomplish your priorities only, you’re a rock star! Move the other tasks to tomorrow and try again.
It’s Not Easy Being Superwoman
Some moms give up their careers to be there for their children, and other moms must give up a lot of time with their kids to make a living. You get the best of both worlds, but sometimes it probably seems like you have to be Superwoman just to make it through the day.
With these 6 tips, you can stay motivated and wear all of your hats without the heavy burden of so many responsibilities