If this question referred to in the title is on your mind, you are most probably moving house, and that too with a lot of stuff to move with you. Maybe bulky furniture, or some electronic items like a TV set, washing machine, etc. And you might also be moving to a different destination. And while it is your time of dilemma, your need for prudence is also evident. This is not only because of the fact that moving houses means impending expenditures approaching your way but also because purchasing or renting a house is one of the biggest expenses in today’s world given the density of population and booming real estate prices.
Yet, there are ways by which in spite of everything, you might find ways to save a few extra bucks, especially in the process of moving. In this context, it is needless to state that while, doing all yourself might seem like a very easy and cost-efficient option at the first look, given the time, effort and most importantly the money on overheads like fuel cost, damage to items, it seems totally pointless. Finding one of the cheap moving companies can definitely be the first step to solving this problem, yet there is a lot more than you can do.
Here are 5 key suggestions to save you a lot of your hard earned money in the process of moving houses.
How to Save Money when Moving
- Clearing unwanted goods can be an easy way of cutting down on the costs. By reducing the number of items that need to be moved, it will reduce the working hours of moving teams. It will reduce the cost of storage, and even the transportation fee. Moreover, if many of your items are in usable condition, they can be sold to gain a few extra cash, over the internet. In this way, it can become a win-win situation for you when you are moving houses.
- You can also decide to cut costs on packing materials. While you might assume that to protect your fragile goods, you will have to buy a lot of bubble wrap, foam, or other items. However, with a bit of creativity, you can use your towels, soft furnishing, and loads of unpacked clothes (which you will have to pack anyway) to protect your fragile goods. In case of moving boxes too, you might find second-hand ones which are sturdy enough to serve your purpose. While these kinds of savings seem trivial but cumulatively, such savings can mean a lot.
- Eating up judiciously before the day of moving can be an excellent way to save some money on foodstuffs. This is most true in the case of frozen goods, which need to be removed from your refrigerator before moving, which will have to be defrosted. Other food which will not survive the moving should also be eaten up. Some food can also be kept aside for the time when your kitchen is still packed in.
- Organized and careful packing can also save you money. Firstly packing goods in a way that they retain their usability till the end is essential. Secondly, labeling goods properly can prevent losing goods, and having to buy replacements, while there is a similar item already packed in one of your boxes.
- Booking a disassembly service can save you from paying extra to the moving team when certain goods which won’t fit in through the door or go up the stairs have to be dismantled, and thereafter put back together.
In this modern world of expenses, prices of real estate properties are pretty high. However, the above-mentioned tips are certain ways, which if followed, can help you to make great savings for yourself, while moving into a new house. This article portrays a few of those tips, which you should keep in mind while buying or renting a new house.