Veggies and fruits are the two essential things in our daily life that can keep us healthy and fit. But it is not that you always consider veggies as the cooking materials and fruits for only chewing. Sometimes you need to prepare different things with them to make foods more tasty and healthy. Probably salad is one of the better ideas that have been popularly taken by people since remote past. It is not only delicious but also has much value too.
Since it is prepared with all kind of raw items, therefore it is not possible to store it for a longer time. It means once you prepare it, then you have to finish the plate at once. So now obviously you need to know, is there any possibility to keep your salad fresh for a longer period? Yes, there are few options which can help you to keep your salad fresh without being spoiled. Here they are.
How to Keep Salad Fresh
Keeping Green Salad Fresh
Lettuce is a vital leaf for salad, but it tends to be soggy in no time. Besides, there are some other vegetables which are capable enough to spoil your salad. Moreover, it may cause indigestion or kind of food poisoning. Therefore, you have to go through a process to preserve them for a longer period.
- Lettuce and the other leafy green veggies are to be chopped and washed first. Then a bowl with cold water is taken and let the leaves soak for about 10 minutes. Then only leaves are sorted and laid on a paper towel.
- Now you have to absorb the excess water from the leaves. Having a salad spinner can make your this job easy. If you don’t have this tool, then you may use a tea towel for this purpose. All you need to roll the leaves in a tea towel and allow it tom soak the water from the leaves.
- Chop the other vital veggies like tomatoes, cucumbers, green chili, carrots, etc. and wash under the fresh running water and dry them with a clean paper towel. Apart from the leaves, the carrots and cucumbers are to be peeled properly and for that reason, you need to buy a fruit and vegetable peeler of the best brand to get the desired result.
- The heavier veggies like carrots and cucumbers are placed at the bottom of a bowl and then the lettuce and the other leaves are laid on the top and toss all of them gently.
- A clean and dry paper towel is placed on the top of the bowl to absorb water from the leaves.
- If you want to add cucumbers and tomatoes, the high water content veggies in the salad then the paper towels should be in layers to absorb water from them.
- Close the container tightly with the lid and then wrap the top of the container with a plastic sheet to keep the air from getting inside and spoiling the leaves.
- Finally, place the bowl inside the refrigerator. This may keep your salad fresh for a week. You have to check the bowl once in a day and stir the leaves if required.
Keeping Fruit Salad Fresh
If you’re looking for healthier food with an excellent taste, flavor, and vibrant color then what better could you ask rather than a simple dish of fruit salad. But most of the fruits like banana, papaya, watermelon, and pomegranate are tend to be spoiled after a short period. Therefore, you need to follow a process to keep the fruit salad fresh for at least3-5 days. Here you go.
- At first peel and cut all the fruits and wash them with fresh water. Keep all the fruits on a big bowl. The fruits should be cut and sliced the way they need to be cut to prepare the salad. To perform all these works you must own a mandoline slicer of the best brand that makes your work more enjoying than before.
- Squeeze a lemon, lime or pineapple to extract the juice and keep it into a small separate bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of juice in one cup of water and then pour it over the mixed fruit salad and toss them gently.
- Now take all the fruit in the bowl cover its lid and wrap the top of the bowl with a plastic sheet. Finally, place the bowl in the refrigerator and in this way you may keep it fresh for 3-5 days. Unless the fruits may lose their freshness and you cannot take them anymore.
Keeping Leftover Salad from Getting Soggy
Sometimes your leftover salad keeps you in a dilemma as you want to have this delicious dish next day again. But the next day when you take a look at it you’ll find it in a sad condition which may not encourage you to have it anymore. But still, you have some hope left that can change the whole scenario. Follow me.
- Prepare as much salad as you’re going to eat, and that also just before you eat it.
- As lettuce tends to get soggy, replace it with green leaves like kale along with hardy veggies like cauliflower; broccoli which can stay fresh for a longer period.
- In this way, surely you’re going to have the left salad with the same taste and freshness like what it was a day before.
Keeping Bagged Salad Fresh
You like to buy bagged salad from the grocery. But having evil lettuce this tends to become soggy and half-rotted within a day or two you cannot use even half of the bag. Don’t get upset, proper storage will keep your bagged salad fresh longer. There are two easy ways-
- Empty the bag and put inside a paper towel, get back all the greens into the bag and seals it with a clip. The paper towel can absorb the moisture and helps the greens stay fresh for a longer time. Replace the towel every day to get the best result.
- Open the bag and bring out the lettuce only to keep them alone in another bag. This will certainly help you to keep the other veggies fresh for a longer period.
Hope, after following this article you feel much relaxed to know the ways to keep your salads for 5-7 days. This will surely help you to get the taste and flavor days later. Now you can also enjoy the leftover salads which were not possible till yesterday. Go ahead, relish the taste, enjoy your healthy dish, and stay well.