We love to feed our dogs a treat, but there’s some food we eat that’s surprisingly dangerous for them.
That’s one of the top reasons the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center cited for the 199,000 instances of pet poisonings in 2017.
Make sure you’re aware of what’s safe for your dog and what’s not.
Start with this list of five foods you should not feed your dog.
When you’re cooking with dough that contains yeast, don’t leave it unattended. Make sure you let it rise somewhere the dog can’t jump up and grab it.
When a dog ingests the dough before it has fully risen it will continue to rise in the dog’s stomach and intestines. It can cause bloating and blockages that are extremely painful. And in the worst cases, there could be twisting in the stomach and a rupture in the intestinal tract. In case your dog has a sensitive stomach, you’re want to refer to this article from CyberPet to know more which food you’ll feed your companion.
Grapes and Raisins
It’s not known why grapes and raisins are so toxic for dogs. However, even small amounts can lead to kidney and liver failure.
You’d probably think that grapes would be harmless and even a healthy treat for your dog, which makes them even more dangerous. We all want to keep our dogs healthy, and there are plenty of healthy treats and supplements made especially for your dog. Read more about these products to choose the best for your dog.
Chocolate contains a stimulant like caffeine that’s harmful to dogs. It can cause stomach illness, high blood pressure, heavy panting, seizures, and if enough is ingested, it could even potentially be deadly.
Choosing what to feed your dog depends on many factors, but chocolate isn’t going to be good for any breed.
We’re not saying that you shouldn’t give a dog a bone. It’s just important to be cautious of what is and isn’t a choking hazard. Especially when it comes to bones that have been cooked.
When cooked, bones become more brittle and more of a risk. When the dog attacks that delicious treat, she might break apart a bone that you wouldn’t expect, making it easier to swallow dangerous shards.
Candy and Gum
Many different gum and candy products contain an artificial sweetener called xylitol. While not at all dangerous for humans, xylitol can be lethal for dogs. It causes hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), which can lead to seizures, liver failure, and death.
Xylitol is also used in other products, most of which you’d never think of feeding to your dog. But it’s usually ingested when he snatches a pack of gum off the coffee table or hops up on the counter and gets into your candy bowl.
Foods You Should Not Feed Your Dog and Other Tips
Having a pet is a joy and also a big responsibility. To keep them safe we need to know how to feed them right. Which is why knowing the foods you should not feed your dog is a top priority.
But don’t stop there, read more tips on caring for your pets, keeping them happy, and keeping your home clean when you have furry roommates inside.