In today’s age of “content marketing,” it is sometimes hard to spot true talent among the ones who want to have that talent. Hundreds of “content mills” have cropped up in recent months and years, all to satisfy the need for a copy for websites, blogs, and social media. But what is really important regarding getting copywriters and what does Google think?
GOOGLE DEMANDS QUALITY OVER CONTENT
On April 15, 2015, Google handed down the latest of their dreaded “algorithm updates” to web owners and businesses online, where they announced their intention to focus on “mobile-friendly websites.” But in a conference held around that time, they also told an audience of over 1,000 people, “We will always choose high-quality content over mobile-friendliness, SEO, and lower quality.”
QUALITY TRUMPS SEO
This shows Google’s ultimate emphasis on high-quality content. It means they understand that copy is for PEOPLE-not bots. With this said, how can you know you are working with the best writers for your company’s blogs and web copy? SEO (keywords) are still important for searches, but not as important as high quality. If it is so important to Google, what should you look for in a copywriter? While the purpose of the writing, your budget, and other factors all play a part, and each situation is different.
Here is a list of some very important characteristics which all good writers should possess:
- Specialization. At first, when the content was first in demand, it didn’t seem to matter what a writer knew. They could quickly do a Google search on a topic, find similar content and include the points that someone else thought of. As long as they didn’t copy exact words, this was acceptable. NOT Anymore. Original content is the name of the game. Not only original but GOOD. It has to engage the reader, so that they crave more, want to share what they read, and tell others on social media. It has to POP. The way to find the best writer for this is to think about what you do on your website then find people in your industry who can also write well.
- High-Quality. Good writers ALWAYS write with high-quality standards. This includes the content, style, and grammar, as well as the way it is customized for each client. Even in cases when they are getting paid less than they know they deserve (or usually get), good writers know that their talent will ultimately shine through and they will be paid later. They have a sense that, even though they have well-known clients, have been paid over $200 for one article, and are in high demand on several sites, they have to prove themselves to each new client they take on. It’s just part of the business.
- Ability to work with clients. A good writer for content writing should also be a good business person. They should not JUST be a writer, but a negotiator, willing to listen to changes a client might need, showing the same respect they expect from the client. The goal, to a good marketable writer, is always to do what the client needs.
- Getting to the heart of things. A good writer for online content writing is someone who knows how to ask the right questions to determine what the client is after. This is especially true of new clients but should be applied to all clients. As a writer myself, I write customized copy for each individual client I come across, and I do so by learning as much as I can about the client before writing.
- Self-value. Finally, a good writer knows their worth and they will tell you upfront if they should be paid more. This is one of the best ways you can know the professionals from the hobbyist or beginning writer. Professionals know that we are getting paid for our time and professional ability to engage people with our words. And they expect the compensation to be relevant to the quality of work.
Writers come from all walks of life and write in a variety of styles and for a variety of purposes. But the way you can know you are dealing with a professional is the level of value they communicate and the quality that they consistently produce.
AdvancedWriters.com hires only professional ENL expert writers, who communicate with their customers and stay in touch at all times. This results in top quality product and overall customer satisfaction. Google agrees that quality is #1 and this should always come first in the minds of web owners looking for the best writer for their content.