Eye problems can come up anytime in a person’s life. If you’re experiencing this situation now, making an appointment with an ophthalmologist should be done as early as you can. An ophthalmologist is an eye expert who can provide vision and eye care, and are equipped with years of training and education in this field. Ophthalmologists can even perform eye surgery if needed. To give you a head start in your search for an ophthalmologist in Fort Meyers, you can check out quiglyeye.com.
An ophthalmologist can diagnose eye conditions, diseases, and injuries.
When it comes to your eye health, this doctor can help you in plenty of ways:
Examine The Eyes
An ophthalmologist will do an eye examination to check for problems in the eye area and test your vision, too. Here’s what to expect during an eye examination:
- The doctor will let you read an eye chart to check for your visual acuity.
- The doctor will also ask you to perform specific eye motions to see if the muscles in your eyes are working well.
- They may also shine a light into your eyes to see if your pupils are responding correctly. At the same time, they will also check your side vision.
- The doctor will try to look at the inside of your eyes with the help of an ophthalmoscope and determine the pressure in the eyes.
- Expect that the doctor will give you eye drops to dilate your pupils, which will allow for a more accurate examination.
Detect Common Eye Problems
An ophthalmologist can detect any eye problem that you may have.
- Some eye diseases he can easily spot are glaucoma, macular degeneration, and cataracts.
- They will also determine how the eye problem will be addressed. If you will need contact lenses or glasses or medication, the ophthalmologist will also issue a prescription.
- If you have an eye injury, the eye doctor can check if surgery is a feasible option.
- The ophthalmologist can also check the patient before and after eye surgery.
Offer Expert Eye Treatment And Care
Aside from giving you a regular eye checkup, an ophthalmologist can also check for uncommon eye problems in a specific part of the eye.
- An eye doctor such as an ophthalmologist specializes in treating diseases of the cornea or sclera. This means that they can treat and manage diseases you may have in this part of your eye.
- They can also manage glaucoma, which is a buildup of pressure in the eyes and may need surgical treatment.
- An ophthalmologist can also perform eye plastic surgery, which is basically cosmetic surgery in the eye area, including the eyelids and tear glands.
- Some ophthalmologists also specialize in child or elderly care.
- Others specialize in ophthalmic surgery, vision correction surgery, or age-related eye diseases.
Perform Surgery When Necessary
If surgery is called for, an ophthalmologist will perform eye surgery on the patient using a laser.
- If you have a cataract, the doctor will remove the cataract. When necessary, they can also address nearsightedness with the help of a cornea transplant.
- Some circumstances may call for an ophthalmologist’s skill in surgically taking out debris from a person’s eye brought about by an accident.
- An eye doctor can also help manage tumors and growths in a patient’s ocular nerve.
Provide An Eye Treatment Plan
With the help of laboratory tests, an ophthalmologist can diagnose eye diseases and create a treatment plan.
- A patient’s treatment plan is dependent on their case and they may be asked to undergo rehabilitation exercises or vision therapy.
- In some cases, the eye doctor will suggest that a patient see a neurologist, endocrinologist, or chemotherapist.
- Medical professionals in other fields may also ask their patients to see an ophthalmologist to have an eye exam, particularly if they are experiencing underlying conditions that affect their eye health.
Check Problem Areas In The Body Through The Eyes
An ophthalmologist is a specialist that provides diagnosis and treatment of eye diseases as well as offers solutions to eye issues including glasses, contact lenses, and surgery. But the ophthalmologist’s work doesn’t end there.
- The eyes are said to be the “windows to our soul” and it is also a window towards the body’s overall health.
- An ophthalmologist can easily see symptoms of underlying health problems such as hypertension and diabetes. If a health problem is suspected, the doctor will ask the patient to see another medical professional for testing and diagnosis.
An ophthalmologist is an eye expert that has spent years of training studying the eyes and the area surrounding it. Most of them also specialize further in a specific part of the eye to address related concerns more accurately. You can easily find ophthalmologists who specialize in the cornea, sclera, or in eye surgery. To ensure you have the best eye health, seeing an ophthalmologist is highly recommended.