Make Your Own Hair Bows at Home #DIY
Hair bows are an adorable accessory for girls of all ages and can help to add an extra dimension to an outfit. While it’s easy to find ready-made hair bows online, these are often more expensive than if you were to make one yourself. Making your own isn’t difficult and it means you can choose a design, color, and material that will perfectly match any outfit.
Gather Your Supplies
Now that you’ve decided to give hair bow making a try, you will need to gather some supplies to get started. Here are some suggestions for essential items to have on hand:
- Find the right ribbons.Different types of ribbons produce a different finish and can be used in different styles of bows. For beginners, it’s recommended to have samples of the following ribbons in your collection:
- Stock up on backings.There are a variety of techniques to attach the finished bow to your hair. Look for the following options at your local craft store:
- Alligator clips
- Buy other bow-making supplies.Purchase additional bow-making supplies. The ribbon and the backing are the most significant parts of the hair bow, but to complete the job you will also need a few other supplies:
- Thread to sew the bow
- Scissors designed to cut fabric
- Straight pins to hold the bow together as you sew
- A needle for hand sewing or a sewing machine
- A high temp glue gun or extra-strength glue for fabric
Choose thread that will match or complement your ribbon. You can also select a contrasting color that will stand out. Most of the basic tools you need to start making hair bows will be a one-time investment. Hair bow ribbon is very inexpensive to stockpile and can be purchased online for a low price. Some sites, such as Hair Bow Center, even have their own hair bow tutorials.
Extra Sparkly Embellishments
Adding embellishments such as beads, glitter, small charms, or sequins will enhance and beautify the final look of your ribbon hair bows. You want them to be unique, sparkly and stand out from the rest. Embellishments are a fun and easy way to achieve that one-of-a-kind look. You can attach them with a drop of hot glue or with needle and thread. They are inexpensive and come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and colors.
Hair Bow Making Instructions
Once you’ve gathered all of your supplies, look online for tutorials and inspiration. Pinterest and craft sites are a great place to generate ideas and find detailed tutorials for every level of expertise. Soon you will have a bow to match every outfit!