Makes 12 tacos
Carne Asada is an intensely flavored meat that is very popular in Mexico. It is quick to marinate and easy to grill.
Tip: There are several different cuts of meat you can use for this recipe. Skirt steak or minute steak are best due to the thin cut and quick cooking time.
Juice of 3 lemons
3 cloves garlic, minced 3
1⁄2 cup drained sliced pickled jalapeño peppers 125 mL
1⁄2 cup teriyaki sauce 125 mL
1 tbsp minced red bell pepper 15 mL
1 tbsp granulated sugar 15 mL
2 tsp kosher salt 10 mL
11⁄2 lbs beef skirt or minute steak (see Tip) 750 g
12 6- to 8-inch (15 to 20 cm) flour or corn 12
Pico de Gallo (see below)
2 limes, each cut into 6 wedges 2
1. Marinade: In a medium bowl, combine lemon juice, garlic, jalapeños, teriyaki sauce, bell pepper, sugar and salt until sugar and salt have dissolved.
2. In a large resealable plastic bag, add marinade and meat and seal. Work marinade through meat with your fingers. Refrigerate meat for at least 2 hours or for up to 6 hours.
3. Preheat greased barbecue grill to medium. Remove meat from marinade, discarding marinade. Grill meat for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove from grill and let stand for 8 to 10 minutes. Carve meat across the grain into thin slices, then cut into bite-size pieces.
4. To build tacos, skillet warm tortillas (page 75). Divide meat equally among tortillas and top with Pico de Gallo. Fold tortillas in half. Serve with a sliced lime.
Pico de Gallo
Makes 2 cups (500 mL)
This is a salsa I use more than any other. This crisp, refreshing flavors capture the true essence of Mexico! I can’t think of a Mexican dish this does not taste good on. Try it on warm, crispy tortilla chips.
4 tomatoes, seeded and diced 4
4 green onions, greens parts only, minced 4
3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced 3
2 serrano chile peppers, seeded and minced 2
1 onion, finely chopped 1
2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro 30 mL
Juice of 2 limes
1. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, green onions, jalapeños, serrano chiles, onion and cilantro. Add lime juice and mix well. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or for up to 24 hours. Add salt to taste just before serving.