My children like to draw patterns. They like to seek patterns when we are out and about and point them out to each other. Today with #GiftedMath we’re sharing about Fractal Triangles.
Actually, Fractal Triangles might be the layman term for The Sierpinski Triangle. Fractal Triangles are the illustration of the principles of Fractals–how a pattern can repeat again and again at different scales, repeating the shape through repetition.
The worksheet below outlines how to make your own fractal triangle.Fractal Triangle Worksheet
Using this worksheet you can create your own complex pattern by repeating the process over and over.
We are still working on precision, but here is how ours turned out.
For this activity, you will need the following:
- The worksheet (Above)
- Markers, colored pencils or crayons
- Ruler/straight edge (optional)
Follow the simple instructions:
- Identify the three midpoints of the triangle’s sides and connect them to create new, downward-facing triangles that are half the width of the original.
- Identify the three midpoints of the triangle’s sides and connect them to create a new, downward facing triangle that is half the original’s width.
- Repeat the same process within each upward-facing triangle for at least three iterations.
Don’t forget to share your finished pattern on social media using the hashtag: #GiftedMath.
On July 25th, the movie Gifted comes out to BlueRay July 25th!
To celebrate the upcoming BluRay release, we’re sharing some fun activities all week.
You’ll want to check out these Multiplication Hacks using your hands or try the 1-Minute Multiplication Challenge.
Franks and Mary’s life together and plans for a normal school life are threatened when 7-year-old Mary’s mathematical abilities come to the attention of her formidable grandmother, Evelyn (Lindsay Duncan) – who has other plans for the girl. You’ll love every moment of this “deeply satisfying” (Edward Douglas, Film Journal International) film starring Jenny Slate and OSCAR Winner Octavia Spencer.
Gifted arrives on BluRay July 25th and also stars Jenny Slate and OSCAR Winner Octavia Spencer.