Up to 60% of how tall you will grow depends on your individual genetics. The remaining 40% relies on how your lifestyle is throughout the time till you reach the age of 20. While it is hard to beat the influence of these factors, you can still manage how tall you look. Along with regular exercise, proper nutrition is one of the best things you can do for your height.
How Your Diet Affects Your Height
Most of the height loss among adults’ results from two processes that take place in your spine as you age.
One is the loss of bone density in vertebrae that happens due to significant mineral depletion. Modern diets lack in calcium, phosphorus and other crucial minerals that help bone tissue withstand compression and mechanical damage. Once your vertebral bodies lose these minerals, they start shrinking in size and become prone to deformation.
The other process is the decrease in space between vertebrae that results from intervertebral disc degeneration. Poor hydration and lack of protein are the two usual culprits that cause intervertebral fibrocartilage to degenerate. Once your intervertebral discs lose the capacity to handle mechanical stress, they shrink in size and may even herniate.
The Menu for Your Height
A proper food diet can help you to prevent the processes mentioned earlier and protect your natural height from decreasing. At the minimum, such diet must be rich in calcium, phosphorus, vitamin D, zinc, magnesium, protein and clean water. If you can’t get these foods on a daily basis you might want to think about a pill to help get you these nutrients.
The groups of foods below contain all the nutrients you need to stay as tall as you can:
- Celery, leafy greens and cruciferous vegetables. From calcium and magnesium to vitamins C and K, these foods provide your bones with everything they need. If you could only pick one source of foods for total skeletal system health, this would be the one.
- Yogurt, cheese, and cottage cheese. These foods are rich in calcium, phosphorus, vitamin D and protein and compliment the foods from the group above. All these nutrients serve as major building blocks of your bones and cartilages making you as tall as possible.
- Nuts and seeds. Being naturally high in magnesium, zinc and quality protein, these foods are indispensable for overall skeletal system health. Ensuring the proper metabolism of the nutrients from the groups above, they help your bones stay strong and healthy.
- Clean water. Proper hydration is vital to the cartilages throughout your whole skeletal system and helps to keep your cartilages healthy. Hydrated cartilages provide a better cushioning effect for your bones and vertebrae allowing you to reach full height potential.
It’s Not Just Your Diet
A consistently healthy diet with the needs of your skeletal system in mind can do wonders for your height. Combining it with a regular exercise program and a supplementation plan, however, will maximize the benefits from your diet. Using these major approaches to height enhancement in coherence can help you to reap the full benefits of each.