We received an Aquamermaid Tail in exchange for this post. All opinions and our love for all things mermaid remain our own.
Aquamermaid is bringing the popular subject of mermaids to life with their mermaid tails and the Aquamermaid monofin.
Perhaps it was Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy-tale “The Little Mermaid“, written in 1836 that brought the mermaid into pop-culture, or Disney’s interpretation of this fairy-tale, but interest in mermaids and mermaid costuming has become popular. From mermaid costumes to monofins, these costumes are used for an activity known as mermaiding–or swimming with the tail and monofin.
Let’s talk about mermaids. Particularly the sightings of mermaids:
- Back in 1493, explorer Christopher Columbus reported seeing “female forms” that he said, “rose high out of the sea, but were not as beautiful as they are represented.”
- Then there was the English pirate, Blackbeard, who commanded his crew to steer away from charted waters (he called them “enchanted”) because he feared merfolk, which he and his crew had reported seeing.
- Between 1870 and 1890 there were two mermaid sightings near Victoria and Vancouver.
- Another mermaid sighting in 1967. Five mermaids were reported being seen by a Pennsylvania fisherman in the Susquehanna River near Marietta in June 1881.
It wasn’t just way back then. There have been mermaid sighting reported more recently:
- August 2009, dozens of people reported seeing a mermaid leaping out of Haifa Bay and doing aerial tricks. A One Million dollar award was offered by the Israili coastal town of Kiryat Yam for proof of the mermaid’s existence.
- February 2012, workers refused to continue work on two reservoirs near Gokwe and Mutare, stating that mermaids had houded them away from the sites.
The First Mermaid:
In 1000 BC, Mermaid stories first appeared in Assyria.
The goddess Atargatis, mother of Semiramis, the Assyrian queen. The goddess loved a shepherd (a mortal) and unintentionally killed him. She was ashamed and jumped into the lake, taking the form of a fish. Her divine beauty could not be concealed by the water. She took the form of a mermaid–human above the waist and fish below.
Become a Mermaid with Aquamermaid
Aquamermaid offers tails created with a comfortable fabric and offered in exclusive scale designs. Like you would imagine a mermaid, Aquamermaid mermaid tails are brightly colored. The fabric is stretchy and breathable, and strong to resist against wear and tear. Aquamermaid uses a thick 4-way-stretch polyester fabric and 250grms thread count. The details are awesome, including the zipper on the side to allow for quick and easy access to the monofin, and for safe removal in the water. There is a lining of neoprene at the tips of the mermaid tail to protect the tail against damage. and allow you to play more.
Add the Aquamermaid monofin for superior propulsion and control. The monofin is designed with individual foot pockets with adjustable straps. It includes a neoprene cushion for additional comfort. All Aquamermaid monofins include a one-year fin warranty.
Aquamermaid has trained over 10,000 mermaids in their Aquamermaid swim schools. In fact, they operate the biggest mermaid school in the world!
Mermaids Fast Facts
- AquaMermaid is the largest mermaid school in the world
- There are about 1000 professional mermaids in the USA (working as swimming instructors, performers or models)
- A silicone mermaid tails can cost up to $5,000
- There are a few international mermaid conferences every year (some have been known to gather up to 300 mermaids for given events)
If you dream of becoming a mermaid, you can buy a mermaid tail here.