Making a grocery list this morning, I realized it’s time for lighter meals. I’m thankful for the harvests where we can snack on fresh fruits and vegetables and spend more time together with barbecues and festivals, which can steer well-intended eating habits off course.
Eating healthy during the summer can be a challenge, but by starting small and making incremental changes to a current diet, a healthy lifestyle can be achieved.
To stay on track, NAKANO has partnered with registered dietitian nutritionist Dawn Jackson Blatner to provide tips for a healthier summer.
Below are tips for a healthier summer from registered dietitian nutritionist Dawn Jackson Blatner.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water throughout the day to stay hydrated and keep skin looking its best. Plus, hydration is a secret weapon for staying focused and energized.
- Drink green tea rather than sweet tea. Sweet tea has a lot of sugar and calories, which is the last thing you want weighing you down in the summer. Instead, drink unsweetened green tea which is full of healthy compounds, like catechins, that give your metabolism a boost.
- Make smoothie pops. Drinking smoothies is all the rage, but in the summer, freeze your favorite fruit and veggie smoothies into popsicles for a wholesome and refreshing treat.
- Snack smarter. Keep cut-up seasonal vegetables such as cucumbers, bell peppers, zucchini and carrots in resealable containers for easy grab and go snacking. Splash on NAKANO Rice Vinegar to all of your veggies for a super flavor boost.
- Stay balanced. Fill your plate with half veggies, a quarter lean protein and a quarter of whole grains for a balanced meal. This will keep energy levels up so you can enjoy more summer fun.
- Grill fruit for dessert. When your sweet tooth needs a treat, grill seasonal fruits like peaches, plums and pineapple for dessert. The heat of the grill brings out even more of fruit’s natural sweetness.
- Enjoy light, but flavorful meals. Check out Dawn’s recipe below for grilled fish tacos, created exclusively for NAKANO Rice Vinegar.