Winter is still in full swing, and just because winter break is over doesn’t mean the wintry destinations aren’t still calling. Make the most of the snowy weather we have left, especially if you’re considering treating your family to anything from the line of safe new SUVs in 2019. These vehicles have the capability to whisk you away to winter wonderlands, and there are plenty of places that are ideal for families.
Ready to start planning a getaway the kids will love? Here are a few destinations to tick off your list:
- Arches National Park in Utah. The gorgeous arches are often photographed in the warmer months, but they become truly enchanting in the winter. It’s already a destination well-known for offering other-worldly scenery, and with the white snow against the red rocks, it’s like nothing you’ve seen before. Plus, the winter blue skies help to create a contrast that just doesn’t compare in summer months. Freezing temperatures can be expected, and remember that snowfall can make roads difficult to navigate.
- Keystone, Colorado. There are some fantastic ski resorts for families, but one of the best is in Keystone. There’s free parking and free gear wagons to get your vacation started right. With a number of ski-in, ski-out options available and kid-friendly activities for beginners, it’s the ultimate destination for the future ski lovers in your life. Plus, the Kidtopia features snow forts and playgrounds designed just for kids along with plenty of piping hot cookies as treats.
- Camelback Mountain in Tannersville. You’ll find the biggest snow tubing park in the country here. Located in the Pocono Mountains, there are 42 tubing lines and two conveyors, so you don’t have to worry about hauling the tubes back up the mountain. Double tubes are available for families, and rates start at just $20 for three hours. You can save money if you also have a lift ticket.
- Adventure Mountain Lake at Lake Tahoe. Sledding is a magical activity that’s the perfect topping to any winter season. Lake Tahoe is already popular for winter sports, but they really go above and beyond with sledding. At Adventure Mountain, sledding elevations are around 7,200 feet, and there are over 12 groomed runs just for sledding. The highest sledding resort means the most snowfall.
- National Elk Refuge in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Going on a horse-drawn sleigh ride is guaranteed to be a favorite memory. Here, you can explore open terrain where over 11,000 elk roam. The massive 25,000-acre refuge is open during winter months, and you can enjoy an hour-long sleigh ride that showcases the wildlife of the area. From wolves to swans, it’s an exciting adventure for all ages. However, children especially adore this old-fashioned activity. Leave your phones on airplane mode and enjoy the moment.
Make the most of the blustery months and add on at least one more activity to the roster. Tis’ the time of year that seems to drag a little bit, and a quick getaway is the pick me up you, and the kids deserve.