When you work 9 to 5 for at least five days a week at an office, it can become pretty difficult to keep up with your health, both physical and mental. Lately, there has been more awareness concerning employees’ health. While some CEOs have responded very well to the needs of their employees’ physical and mental health, not every company is so accommodating.
You have to take steps to ensure that your own health is cared for. Taking care of your health allows you to achieve a better work-life balance and can make you a better, more efficient worker.
The result of taking care of yourself is a win-win situation for you and the business you work for. When you’re a happy and healthy employee, you contribute to the success of the company. Here are five ways to improve both your physical and mental health while you’re in the workplace.
- Display emotional intelligence. When you have and show emotional intelligence, you’re showing that you have a capacity for intuition, gratitude, and empathy. Having emotional intelligence will help you become more self-aware and help you listen to your other coworkers. Having an open line of communication is good for your mental health at work because it lets you confidently express your concerns and experiences without fear of judgment.
- Stand up for yourself. If you work in an office, you probably have to do a lot of sitting around. Unfortunately, sitting doesn’t have a lot of health benefits; it can, in fact, have negative effects if you sit too long or too often. It’s for this reason that you might want to think about purchasing a standing desk or a sit-stand workstation if your job allows. There has been research done that shows that sit-stand workstations replace 25 percent of a worker’s sitting time with the time that they are standing up. When you stand up more, you can experience an improved sense of well-being and a decrease in fatigue.
- Find time to breathe. This one could seem silly. After all, everyone is breathing every second they’re alive, but mindful breathing can have great benefits. Plus, you can do it from the comfort of your desk. Breathing deeply for only a couple of seconds can greatly reduce any stress you may have been feeling. Focusing on breathing can also reduce your chances of forming a headache at work thanks to the extra oxygen intake. To start mindful breathing, you can find purchase a mobile app. You can find a handful of them that can guide you through breathing exercises.
- Be active. A healthy mind and a healthy body go together. You want to participate in a regular physical activity to help your body function at its best. You can do this at work by getting an as mentioned earlier, standing desk and doing small exercises in place. If your workplace has a gym, don’t be afraid to utilize it either before or after your workday. Exercising helps keep your body in check, improving breathing, blood flow, and the release of feel-good chemicals in your brain.
- Buy tools to help. There are a variety of relaxation tools that can you can place on your person or your desk that can help you manage stress and help your overall help. You can buy stress balls and get them in shapes that fit in with the rest of the items on your death. You can also keep fidget items, like cubes and spinners, to help with anxiety and help you focus on your work. You can even wear certain clothes, like compression socks. The benefits of compression socks, and other clothing items like them, help your body function normally and help increase your blood flow.
All businesses should help promote the well-being of their staff or, at least, support their employees want to maintain their well-being during work. You should work on being the best you both in and outside of work to achieve success. No matter your profession, your health comes first.