Sharing is caring!
South Africa is famous for its diamonds. In fact, the majority of the world’s diamonds come from this country. Diamonds have become a part of our culture and its significance during engagements and weddings.
It is believed that a ring with a diamond embedded in it is necessary when you pop the question and this has been so for ages. However, not many know that the diamond engagement ring was a wonderful advertising campaign during the Depression which caught the fancy of those in love and has remained so since. The ad agencies made everyone believe that one should spend at least a month’s salary on the ring. Over time it became two month’s salary, and now it is three month’s salary.
If you are in the market to buy a diamond ring, then make sure that you do not make the following mistakes.
- Not learning enough about diamonds: The first mistake is most people do not do research. Information is wealth, and when you are about to spend a huge amount of money then the wealth that you have needs to be used properly and not put to waste, so do your research. Find out about diamonds; find whether you need to buy a 1-carat diamond engagement ring or a 2 carat diamond ring. Check out the different cuts of a diamond etc. Also, it is important to learn about the jeweler from whom you will buy so that you can be assured that you get a good deal.
- Not asking for certification: The GIA certification is a must. If your jeweler is trying to sell you a diamond without certification, then do not buy it. The GIA certification is the standard, and you should buy a diamond with the certificate as it will ensure your peace of mind.
- Spending too much: Most people end up paying too much without even learning a thing or two about diamonds. They think that they need to spend three month’s salary and get a big stone. However, this is just advertising strategy; you should spend according to your purse. You should also take into account your partner’s wishes. Your partner may not like a big stone; she may like a small stone but in a nice setting. She may like platinum instead of gold, so you should take all this into account before ordering a ring.
- Searching for the perfect stone: Most people spend too much time searching for the perfect stone and hence miss on quite a few good deals. They keep looking for a clear diamond, but the clear, colorless ones are always a little costly. If you want you can get a very good diamond with a little bit of color at a lesser price.
- Not giving attention to the ring: The diamond is important, but the ring is also very important. It is important to take time and effort to ensure that the diamond rests on a good setting. So do your research and also ask your jeweler for a few good designs.
These are the most common mistakes that a person makes while buying a diamond, make sure that you do not make these mistakes.