Folding clean laundry can actually be a relaxing experience. But for busy moms tasked with doing laundry for the whole family, this is rarely the case. Often it is a losing battle that you never seem to have enough time to complete. However, there are definitely ways to increase efficiency and make this time-consuming task more manageable.
Here are a few tips for the busy moms out there looking to get their laundry situation under control.
5 Helpful Household Laundry Tips for Busy Moms
- Create a system of separation. It can definitely be tempting to throw everything into one load when you’re doing laundry for a large family. But taking the time to sort can actually save you time and money. It sounds counterintuitive, but take a moment to consider the benefits of splitting loads of laundry not only into whites, lights, and darks, but also into kid and adult piles. Kid clothing needs different care – you’ll often find yourself washing with warm water to removes stains. Adult clothing doesn’t generally need this and can even suffer for it. And when you split up adult and kid clothing, it can make folding and putting away a much more efficient task.
- Set a schedule. As a busy mom, you probably know the importance of keeping kids on a schedule for eating, sleeping, playtime, and so on. But with limited time and plenty to do, your personal schedule needs to include dedicated slots for laundry. And systems will vary from one household to the next. If you like to rise before the kids, you could collect clothing at bedtime, pop it in the washer, move it to the dryer before you head to bed, and then fold it and put it away in the morning. Or if you work during the week, you could save all your laundry until the weekend. Your schedule will depend on your personal preferences and restrictions, as well as the size of your household.
- Choose detergent wisely. Kids get messy. And frankly, you should let them. Don’t teach them to avoid exploring the world around them just because you don’t want to deal with stains, especially when there are such good options for treating messes on clothing these days. Some detergents, like our Homemade Laundry Detergent, Tide and All, not only have options that will keep clothing bright while removing stains, but they also have formulas that are designed for sensitive skin. As a busy mom, you can certainly appreciate a laundry detergent that not only keeps clothing clean and prevents fading but won’t give your child a rash in the process.
- Keep stain fighters on hand. Pre-treaters are a mom’s best friend. (Try our Homemade Shout Recipe) All you have to do is spray on some Shout or Resolve Spray ‘N Wash before you toss items in the hamper or the washing machine in order to remove even tough stains. You should also think about keeping a Tide To Go pen handy when you’re out and about. It’s great for small stains and in some cases removes them on the spot, so to speak.
- Consider getting help. At some point, you may have to concede that doing laundry just doesn’t fit in with your busy schedule. Luckily, there are pick-up and drop-off laundry services that can help. You could also consider upgrading to industrial-sized washers and dryers like those from laundry equipment services that let you increase your load size significantly or utilizing the Best Ultrasonic Cleaners. But if you simply don’t have time due to the demands of working and raising a family, don’t feel bad about outsourcing your laundry so that you have a little extra time for your family or even for yourself.