Do you have friends or family that lives in the US? Visiting them can be quite difficult if there’s a huge distance between you, but it’s not impossible. Not to mention that there are a lot of places you need to see in the US in your lifetime.
The simple solution is just to get an ESTA. You can learn more about this type of visa at https://www.e-visa-usa.com/en/what-is-esta but basically, it’s an approval of passage which makes you entitled to enter the US even without a visa. However, you shouldn’t be too hasty as there are things to keep in mind here.
First off, it can take up to 72 hours before your ESTA is approved so don’t go anywhere until you have that precious confirmation. The last thing you want is to be sent back home at the airport in the US because you’re ESTA didn’t come through in time.
You should also know that it only takes about 10 minutes or so for the application to be successfully sent over. You fill in an online form and send it; It’s a really easy process.
It’s not free, but the fee isn’t huge either. It will cost you a total of $14 for the ESTA application. But here’s the kicker: If it doesn’t get approved, you get $10 back because that sum is otherwise sent over to US Tourism and only $4 amounts to the actual application fee.
If you want to make sure that there won’t be any complication with your application, make sure to keep these useful tips in mind:
- You need to apply a good 72 hours before you would be scheduled to leave so that you have time to readjust in case of a rejection.
- You should disclose all important information in your application and be completely transparent about your legal situation. It will end up a lot worse if they find out you weren’t completely honest before. They will be interested in things like whether you were ever arrested or not.
Other things you should know
These are also things that you should know, for both now and the future:
- Once you are approved, your ESTA will be available for a total of 2 years, and when it expires you don’t get a new one, you just update the old one.
- You have to apply for ESTA individually, and thus the information you put into your application should reflect only your person. It’s not a group effort even if you’re traveling as part of a group.
- You can also apply for someone else. If someone doesn’t find the resources necessary to submit their only application, you can do it for them. Way to help a friend out!