Candy Filled Snakes!
This is a fun and easy craft you can use any time. We have made them for Christmas, Valentine’s, Classroom Treats, Birthday Parties, Thank You’s (“Snake You”) and “Just Because”
The children love to help glue and fill them with their favorite candies!
You will need:
- Small round candies:Hershey’s Kisses, tootsie rolls, jaw breakers, lemon heads, etc.
- 8″ ribbon or yarn
- 3″ x 20strip of brightly colored cotton fabric
- 3″ x 6″ piece of matching felt, fleece or cotton fabric
- matching thread
- scrap of red felt for tongue
- cotton ball or small amount of batting
- (2) – 5/8″ wiggly eyes
- Needle (for hand-sewing) or sewing machine
- Cut a 3″ x 20″-inch strip out of brightly colored cotton fabric.
- Make “snake head” pattern by drawing a 2.5″wide x2″ long rectangle. Round top of 2″ end.
- Trace to the pattern to fabric, then cut out snake head pieces
Place cotton ball between 2 “head” pieces and glue or sew around outer edges to make top of head. Make bottom of head the same way.
- Place “heads” against right side of body, lining up the straight straight edge of the head and the body. and sew across.
- Fold body in half lengthwise, right sides together. Sew along edge and one end, making a point. Turn right side out, forming a long tube.
Cut out tongue by cutting a 1.5″x1.5″ piece of felt, folding in half and cutting one end into a point.
Glue tongue to “inside” of bottom Head Piece.
Glue eyes in place.
Fill body with candies by opening head pieces and inserting through hold.
Tie ribbon around top of neck, just behind the head, so candy doesn’t fall out.
Note: I color copied a “Hershey’s Kiss” tag from a received gift and made a card for this snake. Inside it reads: “Snake you for being my friend!”