New England Clam Chowder
This New England Clam Chowder recipe is one of my favorites. It’s hardy and rich. It can be elevated with more Tabasco Sauce or prepared as the recipe directs for a delicious meal that warms the soul.
Recipe: New England Clam Chowder
A delicious,creamy clam chowder that makes chilly weather seem like a luxury!
Author: Julee Morrison
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 9 Tbsp butter
- 1-1/2 cups diced onion
- 1 cup celery
- 2 cups potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups canned clams
- ½ tsp. white pepper
- 1 tsp. Herbes De Provence
- ¼ tsp TABASCO sauce
- 2 tsp salt
- 5 cups milk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup half and half
- Melt seven tablespoons of the butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Make a roux by blending the flour into the butter.
- Allow roux to cook two minutes, stirring often.
- Add five cups of milk slowly to the flour and butter mixture.
- Stir constantly until thick and bubbly.
- Melt the rest of the butter in a small saucepan.
- Add the onion, celery and potatoes.
- Cover and cook slowly, stirring often, for ten minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Add to the milk mixture.
- Now add the clams with juice, white pepper, herbs, TABASCO and salt.
- Heat slowly until heated.
- Stir in half and half.
Rate My Blog @ Top Mommy Blogs